Re: [oc] new project...MP3 (audio) core?

Hi Rob !

First off all welcome to the group !

Regarding the MP3 core: We had this discussion a while back, and
I guess the discouraging thing was that the base algorithm of MP3
is patented (or was it copyrighted ?). So even if you build a free
hardware decoder, the person implementing it would have to pay
royalties.

The alternative would be to use one of the free compression algorithms.
I heard that some are even better than mp3. There was one that was
developed by one of these "free" organizations, I always forget it's
name.

Cheers !
rudi