[oc] Re: new project...MP3 (audio) core?

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 05:24:18PM +0700, Rudolf Usselmann wrote:

> Hi Rob !
>
> First off all welcome to the group !
>
> Regarding the MP3 core: We had this discussion a while back, and
> I guess the discouraging thing was that the base algorithm of MP3
> is patented (or was it copyrighted ?). So even if you build a free
> hardware decoder, the person implementing it would have to pay
> royalties.

Copyright can not extend to independent implementations.  The problem is
that it has or is thought to have an enforceable patent in many western
countries.

Ogg Vorbis, http://www.ogg.org/ .

--
Andreas E. Bombe <andreas.bombe@munich.netsurf.de>    DSA key 0x04880A44