Re: [oc] new project...MP3 (audio) core?

If doing an Ogg Vorbis core, it could be
worth going though their mailing list
archives.  Such a project has been
mentioned a couple of times there.  As far
as I know, no-one ever picked up the project and
ran with it.

I like Rudi's suggestion of a data flow core.  Apart from
anything else, it has the possibility of getting around
patents by being a superset of an MP3 decoder.

According to the Ogg Vorbis site, it deliberately bears little
resemblence to MP3 (due to patents), so it could be an 'interesting'
project to get a core which is capable of both.

>From a practical point of view, check out that it is not
more efficient to program an OpenRISC processor to act
as a codec.  Nothing wrong with a project as an intellectual
challenge though.  I imagine an audio codec using bit-serial
arithmetic in an FPGA/ASIC might be able to run in real
time, and be tiny as well.