Re: [oc] Re: Jim Turley's article at Embedded.com

Tom Walsh wrote:
> Pablo Bleyer Kocik wrote:
>
>>  Embedded.com has just published an "interesting" article about
>>Open-Source Hardware by Jim Turley. Too biased... if you ask me.

stuff deleted for space's sake.

>  Sort of like the fourth year engineering student that
> was attempting to convince me that it was a bright idea to implement a
> custom processor in ECL logic, my answer to that was to ask "at what
> Amperage".  IMO, both started out with an assumption that was not based
> in practical terms.

Well - I HAVE implemented an ECL custom processor - 17 years ago ;-) It
was probably a wrong idea then too!

The article was also factually inaccurate.  He claimed that Picoturbo
going out of business was proof that IP requires support, and that you
couldn't get it from Picoturbo. Picoturbo lost settled a long running
lawsuit with ARM - they essentially lost same.  THAT is why they are out
of business.   It had nothing to do with the quality of the core or
whether it could be supported.

You're point about hardware being 30 years behind software may have
merit as well, especially in the "free" tool chain area. We're making
progress - but there is alot of area to cover.

Steve Wilson