Re: [oc] Jim Turley's article at Embedded.com

<RANT ON>

Sorry, I just finished reading this article, and I couldn't help but feel angry
at the ignorance and narrow-minded point of view that this guy gives.  I mean
the title of the article is Open-Source Hardware, but it clearly does not even
touch on the topic.  It only considers open-source hardware as 'free
microprocessor', ie. Intel.  Clearly, we are a long way off from the equivalent
of Linux to Windows on the microprocessor side.  But there are many other
places where open-source hardware IP is advantageous - such as controllers,
glue logic, interfaces, memory, etc.  There is not a single mention of
reconfigurable, reprogrammable logic anywhere.  Nor of hardware development
systems or platforms.
And these arguments of hardware not being tweakable or easy-to-collaborate are
clearly fantasy opinions from somebody who no understanding of HDL code or
development.  Why, all these big semi companies must have only one super-geek
working on each chip! how do they do it?! without "modular and
compartmentalized" code and code re-use....
And the issue of no support?!  Why would open-source hardware have any more or
less support than open-source software?  Afterall, in the end it's still a
group of developers who have either a good, moderate, or no understanding of a
particular piece of code.
The author should of spent just 5 mins more of research to find out what open-
source hardware really means before he disseminated this garbage and obviously
negative opinion.  A quick search would have found groups like opencores.org or
openh.org.

Free your mind,
Jerrold.