[openrisc] Re: ports to 2.96 and 3.1 versions

> From: "Marko Mlinar" <markom@opencores.org>
> To: <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>
> Cc: <openrisc@opencores.org>
> Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 08:27:05 +0100

> Well I've submitted the request for papers lat year, but after the
> investigation they found out that they overlooked them, thus
> delaying the whole process... I am still waiting for them.

:-( I think I liked the process better when we had the papers on our
web site.  :-(  This is why I tell everyone that is starting a port, to
get their paper work in first.  Because by the time they are done,
then it should be finished and on file.  Also, it makes it easier to
contribute as you develop, which increases the likelihood of code
actually getting into gcc.  Too often people do a port, and then
disappear just before or just after they finish.

> Are you currently in Stage 3?

Yes.

> Do we have any chances to be in 3.1 release?

That would be someone elses call.  Depends upon how cleanly your code
drops in.  The cleaner it is, the more likely it might be able to go
in, the less clean, the more invasive the changes, the less likely it
will make the 3.1 release, though, even if it doesn't, it should be
able to make it in for 3.1.1 (if you can clean it up for submission
quality).  Offhand, I'd say slim to none.  It should be dropped into
mainline first, before the release branch.

> Well if not, I suppose the best roadmap for us is to work on 3.1
> (and later on 3.2) version, to meet the next 3.2 release (hopefully)
> on Oct 15th, 2002.

Certainly you will want to contribute it to the main branch just as
soon as 3.1 is cut (branched off).