Re: OPENPPC>: Re: [openppc] Future of openppc.org and openppc.comdomains

Tom Geller wrote:
> Anyway, I wouldn't consider the big players to be completely out
> of  the picture re: an open PPC-based ATX-form board. The fat lady
> hasn't  sung yet. :)

I agree, but it sounds like she's warming up.  :-(

Alan Grimes wrote:
> The Hard disk controller should not be on the motherboard.

I like having SCSI and Firewire controllers on the MB.  Since
those are busses, can I assume you would not object?

> The Floppy controller should not be on the motherboard.

I don't have much use for floppies these days.  I would rather
put a ZIP drive on the SCSI bus.

> The legacy IO ports should not be on the motherboard.

Aside from a serial port for debugging the hardware and kernel,
I have little use for the usual PC I/O devices.

> USB is a bus therefore it does belong on the motherboard.

> Sound should not be on the motherboard.
> Analog game-port should not be on the motherboard.
> [...]
> The motherboard in this machine has only its slots and the
> keyboard connector. (I wouldn't mind seeing that replaced
> with a serial console) but that is it.

There isn't as much need for these if you have USB.

> Modular obsolescance resistant design.

Modularity is expensive.  That is why you see very little of
it in the windoze market.

> All your motherboard needs are good buses and a clean design.
> Build it and I'll buy... as soon as I can figure out how to
> make some money. =P

If you're interested in PowerPC motherboard, please add your
input to my PPC Motherboard Poll.  Here's the URL.

  http://www.xavax.com/ans/anspoll.html

For a bit more background, go to this URL.

  http://www.xavax.com/ans/projects.html

--
Phil Harbison