Re: [openppc] Routing PPC mobos

Being a student in an engineers school in electronics (ESIEE Paris), I'd
like to jump in the wonderful world of PPC boards design. I've got some
background knowledge in electronics, Motorola architectures and
software... What I have to do now is to learn how to route a PCB :)

>  Does anybody have some good website / book / whatever to advise ? And
> also, what is the typical prise of an homemade proto PCB with all
> components, including the CPU ? Being a student, I'm not that rich
> :)) Thanks in advance !

Assuming you mean G3/G4 - there's some info about components and pricing
on the openppc website (http://www.openppc.org). The major problem at
the moment is the lack a suitable Northbridge, although the are
developments which may change this. Also getting hold of PPC uPs in
small quantities is.... interesting... :-) There was some discussion on
the list, a while back, about the possibility of people manufacturing
PCBs, but it never got very far - again there is some info on the
OpenPPC web site. Routing the PCB is by no means easy - 133MHz tracks
are prone to crosstalk, phase delays etc., which make it not an easy
jobs. If you then start lokking at DDR or any modern memory sub-system,
that adds more problems. Really you need a very good PCB design kit -
which will set you back... lots - several thousand dollars.

If all you want to do is look at PPC PCBs, then try some of the embedded
uCs in the family, as these don't have as many issues - they don't need
a northbridge, and have far more interfaces on chip.

Alasdair