[oc] Newbie asking for advice

Hi

 I've had ideas for designing a graphics chip/board simmering in the back of
my head ever since the demise of 3dfx. More recently, after a discussion in
the forums of www.3dxl.com, these ideas reared their heads and were now
extended to designing a whole computer architecture. This happened after a
forum discussion about the performance of the Voodoo 5 AGP in AGP 1X and 2X
mode went _WAY_ off-topic, meandering through the definitions of
"little-endian" and "big-endian" and finally to how all the standards
devised by Intel were nothing but cruft (the opinion of several of the other
 posters). Not to beat around the bush anymore, am I a complete idiot in
 thinking that this reinventing-the-wheel idea can be done?