Re: [oc] Jim Turley's article at Embedded.com

Hi All,

Billditt@aol.com wrote:

> Hello,
>         Why doesnt someone write a letter to editor. I would advise
> not being
> too critical. The author deserves this, but this is a great
> opportunity to get
> some free publicity. So I would tone it down and point out various web
> sites
> the author "missed".
>     Bill Dittenhofer
> --

Well sounds like a good idea.
I am working for Flextronics Semiconductor and as we will soon state in
opencores.org - Flextronics is sponsoring some of the activity going on
in OpenCores development and we are in it for the business and the money
- not from altruistic reasons (though we do like the idea of open source
very much). I am 100% sure that open hardware has a very good business
case to be based on, maybe even more real than open source software. The
difference is - when you develop open source software, you have
something everyone wants but you realy have nothing to sell. When you
develop open source hardware, you have something that everyone wants -
and you have something to sell still - the actual hardware device. This
means that many companies could safely use open source hardware and
after complying with GPL and returning the source to the public domain -
they will still make most or maybe even more money they could have made
before using open hardware. We will be proving this business model in
the next few months as we are starting to market opencores IP.
In any case I think all of us around oc have a lot to say in response to
this article, and like Bill said this might be a good tool to get us
published. I would suggest to collect ideas together about the reality,
status, business model, logic behind opencores - so please send me your
comments. I will take the job of writing an article to embedded.com -
and I will also try to publish it in EEtimes and other magazines. I
think that in the end we will have to thank Jim for providing us this
door to communicate this.

regards,
Lior

If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager or  the
sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to any one or make copies.

** eSafe scanned this email for viruses, vandals and malicious content **