Re: [oc] vhdl coding conventions

Hi,

>1. Global vs. local signals what is the meaning of them. Global means
global
>for the architecture and local for the process, procedure and function
I do
>not think we should use this kind of signals?

By local I mean it is a signal generated by the same module in which it
is used. Global means it is used even outside the module which generates
it.

>2. again what is the meaning of driving module when the signal is Z
stated it
>can has multiple drivers so which one of them should be considered.

Driving module means the module which generates that particular signal.
For example Control Unit is the driving module for signal
ctlPWGenableMuxR1.

>3. REG prefix should be added to register names, but as far as I know
that
>signals are synthesized into registers or flip flops so it should be
>considered as signal name.

Yes Regs are nothing but signals ending with REG suffix.

>4. some signals are clocked and other are used in combinational logic
so we
>should make a distinction between them for example clocked signals
should has
>_q suffix or something similar in the attribute field. Since clocked
buses are
>converted into registers they should contain the suffix REG.

These things are unnecessary as I feel, since these just decrease the
readability. Also there is not much difference between a clocked signal
& a non-clocked signal. We must take care of only those which either
help us greatly or which prevent hazards. It has neither.

>5. Process name should indicate if it is a clocked process or
combinational.

Again this is not necessary. What do you get by knowing whether a
process is clocked or combinatorial. It doesn't give much significance.

>6. Configurations should have the suffix _cfg

The very syntax of configurations says that it is a configuration. We
need not explicitly put a "_cfg".
Tired of limited space on Yahoo and Hotmail?
Free 100 Meg email account available at http://www.dacafe.com