Re: [oc] Interested in developing CRT controller core

At 12:45 PM 2/4/00 -0500, you wrote:
>> >2. Should this CRT controller be compatible with VGA (registers,
programming
>> >etc.)?
>> I would argue against it.
>On the other hand, for any kind of legacy PC support (if you want to work
>with a PC BIOS or MS Windows) VGA compatibility is pretty important, if not
>absolutely necessary. However, its also extremely complicated, and I'm not

Greg brings up a good point. I wasn't thinking MS Windows. I have done
simple embedded display drivers and for them VGA is not really that
relevant. My Unix programming work has all been at a higher level
X-Windows/KDE/GTK sort of stuff. Does the low level Unix stuff rely much on
VGA compatibility?

While I did suggest using a processor to do all the hard stuff it is very
much not clear to me if that makes an effective solution. I was thinking
or1k for the processor. Is someone interested in coding up a display
library to support it?

Joe

So how much opencores work can I do while watching the synthesizer work?