Re: [oc] Interested in developing CRT controller core

At 02:50 PM 2/4/00 +0100, you wrote:
>1. Do we need any special support for flat panel display?

If we are talking about the displays with standard VGA connectors then no
they take an analog interface. Alternatively, most of the higher end models
have digital interfaces that offer superior performance. Of course, if we
were looking to support high end displays like that we should increase the
performance on the controller (e.g., 1280x1024). There is some good news
about LCD support. Since the LCD response time is so slow you don't need to
worry about a real fast pixel clock.

>2. Should this CRT controller be compatible with VGA (registers, programming
>etc.)?

I would argue against it. Today the classical VGA register model is pretty
obsolete. Most of the graphics controllers are emphasizing their DirectX
and OpenGL support. For us the only advantage of the VGA register model is
the flexibility to model our display driver off of existing display
drivers. If the opencores processor designs are successful we should be
able to attract software talent that should be willing to write custom
drivers.

Joe