[ecc] Reed Solomon decoder

Hi,
I'm implementing Reed Solomon (255,223) on FPGA using VHDL. I've
implemented a RS(15,11) as a prototype and it works fine. however, i
faced trouble when i try upscale it to (255,223) which used up a huge
number of gates and slices. I believe this is mainly due to the finite field
conversion(exponential to binary) table implemented in the code. Is
there any way shorter/more effective way of implementating the finite
field conversion? other ideas on the code are welcomed!!! Please help!!