[oc] Xilinx, Altera or whatever...

Hi all.
I've been working designing and developing reconfiguration systems based
on FPGA (SRAM technology).
I usually use Xilinx devices (Spartan/Virtex) but now, I would like to
remake my mind and analyse the market/technology again before to
purchase an specific component.
I'm a GNU/Linux user and, as I said, I'm working on reconfiguration
systems (FPGA based on RAM).
Xilinx offers the free ISE Web Pack, but it's for Microsoft platform
:-/...Anybody has tested/used?
Altera offers the Quartus II Web Edition, but it's for Microsoft again
:-/...the same, anybody has tested/used?
I read that the Altera parts are focused on logical designs and in the
other hand, Xilinx is for processing (DSP). What it's your opinion about
this?.
And finally, the speed of the reconfiguration process...are there big
diferences between Altera and Xilinx parts?

Thanks for all the opinions.
Peco

--
Juan José "Peco" San Martín