Subject: CVE-2024-49953: net/mlx5e: Fix crash caused by calling __xfrm_state_delete() twice

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

net/mlx5e: Fix crash caused by calling __xfrm_state_delete() twice

The km.state is not checked in driver's delayed work. When
xfrm_state_check_expire() is called, the state can be reset to
XFRM_STATE_EXPIRED, even if it is XFRM_STATE_DEAD already. This
happens when xfrm state is deleted, but not freed yet. As
__xfrm_state_delete() is called again in xfrm timer, the following
crash occurs.

To fix this issue, skip xfrm_state_check_expire() if km.state is not
XFRM_STATE_VALID.

 Oops: general protection fault, probably for non-canonical address 0xdead000000000108: 0000 [#1] SMP
 CPU: 5 UID: 0 PID: 7448 Comm: kworker/u102:2 Not tainted 6.11.0-rc2+ #1
 Hardware name: QEMU Standard PC (Q35 + ICH9, 2009), BIOS rel-1.13.0-0-gf21b5a4aeb02-prebuilt.qemu.org 04/01/2014
 Workqueue: mlx5e_ipsec: eth%d mlx5e_ipsec_handle_sw_limits [mlx5_core]
 RIP: 0010:__xfrm_state_delete+0x3d/0x1b0
 Code: 0f 84 8b 01 00 00 48 89 fd c6 87 c8 00 00 00 05 48 8d bb 40 10 00 00 e8 11 04 1a 00 48 8b 95 b8 00 00 00 48 8b 85 c0 00 00 00 <48> 89 42 08 48 89 10 48 8b 55 10 48 b8 00 01 00 00 00 00 ad de 48
 RSP: 0018:ffff88885f945ec8 EFLAGS: 00010246
 RAX: dead000000000122 RBX: ffffffff82afa940 RCX: 0000000000000036
 RDX: dead000000000100 RSI: 0000000000000000 RDI: ffffffff82afb980
 RBP: ffff888109a20340 R08: ffff88885f945ea0 R09: 0000000000000000
 R10: 0000000000000000 R11: ffff88885f945ff8 R12: 0000000000000246
 R13: ffff888109a20340 R14: ffff88885f95f420 R15: ffff88885f95f400
 FS:  0000000000000000(0000) GS:ffff88885f940000(0000) knlGS:0000000000000000
 CS:  0010 DS: 0000 ES: 0000 CR0: 0000000080050033
 CR2: 00007f2163102430 CR3: 00000001128d6001 CR4: 0000000000370eb0
 DR0: 0000000000000000 DR1: 0000000000000000 DR2: 0000000000000000
 DR3: 0000000000000000 DR6: 00000000fffe0ff0 DR7: 0000000000000400
 Call Trace:
  <IRQ>
  ? die_addr+0x33/0x90
  ? exc_general_protection+0x1a2/0x390
  ? asm_exc_general_protection+0x22/0x30
  ? __xfrm_state_delete+0x3d/0x1b0
  ? __xfrm_state_delete+0x2f/0x1b0
  xfrm_timer_handler+0x174/0x350
  ? __xfrm_state_delete+0x1b0/0x1b0
  __hrtimer_run_queues+0x121/0x270
  hrtimer_run_softirq+0x88/0xd0
  handle_softirqs+0xcc/0x270
  do_softirq+0x3c/0x50
  </IRQ>
  <TASK>
  __local_bh_enable_ip+0x47/0x50
  mlx5e_ipsec_handle_sw_limits+0x7d/0x90 [mlx5_core]
  process_one_work+0x137/0x2d0
  worker_thread+0x28d/0x3a0
  ? rescuer_thread+0x480/0x480
  kthread+0xb8/0xe0
  ? kthread_park+0x80/0x80
  ret_from_fork+0x2d/0x50
  ? kthread_park+0x80/0x80
  ret_from_fork_asm+0x11/0x20
  </TASK>

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-49953 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 6.4 with commit b2f7b01d36a9 and fixed in 6.6.55 with commit fab615ac9fcb
	Issue introduced in 6.4 with commit b2f7b01d36a9 and fixed in 6.10.14 with commit 0b1672834634
	Issue introduced in 6.4 with commit b2f7b01d36a9 and fixed in 6.11.3 with commit 151e7dead1f5
	Issue introduced in 6.4 with commit b2f7b01d36a9 and fixed in 6.12-rc2 with commit 7b124695db40

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-49953
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/net/ethernet/mellanox/mlx5/core/en_accel/ipsec.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/fab615ac9fcb8589222303099975d464d8857527
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/0b1672834634df9ac9cedf856db9fc36d92c50ef
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/151e7dead1f5399a73c19c4b50307ea48aff1dc0
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/7b124695db40d5c9c5295a94ae928a8d67a01c3d