Subject: CVE-2024-49860: ACPI: sysfs: validate return type of _STR method

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

ACPI: sysfs: validate return type of _STR method

Only buffer objects are valid return values of _STR.

If something else is returned description_show() will access invalid
memory.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-49860 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 3.7 with commit d1efe3c324ea and fixed in 5.10.227 with commit 4b081991c436
	Issue introduced in 3.7 with commit d1efe3c324ea and fixed in 5.15.168 with commit 0cdfb9178a3b
	Issue introduced in 3.7 with commit d1efe3c324ea and fixed in 6.1.113 with commit 5c8d007c14ae
	Issue introduced in 3.7 with commit d1efe3c324ea and fixed in 6.6.54 with commit f0921ecd4ddc
	Issue introduced in 3.7 with commit d1efe3c324ea and fixed in 6.10.13 with commit f51e5a88f2e7
	Issue introduced in 3.7 with commit d1efe3c324ea and fixed in 6.11.2 with commit f51f711d36e6
	Issue introduced in 3.7 with commit d1efe3c324ea and fixed in 6.12-rc1 with commit 4bb1e7d02741

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-49860
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/acpi/device_sysfs.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/4b081991c4363e072e1748efed0bbec8a77daba5
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/0cdfb9178a3bba843c95c2117c82c15f1a64b9ce
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/5c8d007c14aefc3f2ddf71e4c40713733dc827be
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/f0921ecd4ddc14646bb5511f49db4d7d3b0829f0
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/f51e5a88f2e7224858b261546cf6b3037dfb1323
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/f51f711d36e61fbb87c67b524fd200e05172668d
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/4bb1e7d027413835b086aed35bc3f0713bc0f72b