Subject: CVE-2024-47747: net: seeq: Fix use after free vulnerability in ether3 Driver Due to Race Condition

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

net: seeq: Fix use after free vulnerability in ether3 Driver Due to Race Condition

In the ether3_probe function, a timer is initialized with a callback
function ether3_ledoff, bound to &prev(dev)->timer. Once the timer is
started, there is a risk of a race condition if the module or device
is removed, triggering the ether3_remove function to perform cleanup.
The sequence of operations that may lead to a UAF bug is as follows:

CPU0                                    CPU1

                      |  ether3_ledoff
ether3_remove         |
  free_netdev(dev);   |
  put_devic           |
  kfree(dev);         |
 |  ether3_outw(priv(dev)->regs.config2 |= CFG2_CTRLO, REG_CONFIG2);
                      | // use dev

Fix it by ensuring that the timer is canceled before proceeding with
the cleanup in ether3_remove.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-47747 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 4.15 with commit 6fd9c53f7186 and fixed in 5.10.227 with commit 338a0582b28e
	Issue introduced in 4.15 with commit 6fd9c53f7186 and fixed in 5.15.168 with commit 822c7bb1f6f8
	Issue introduced in 4.15 with commit 6fd9c53f7186 and fixed in 6.1.113 with commit 1c57d61a4329
	Issue introduced in 4.15 with commit 6fd9c53f7186 and fixed in 6.6.54 with commit d2abc3790718
	Issue introduced in 4.15 with commit 6fd9c53f7186 and fixed in 6.10.13 with commit 516dbc6d1663
	Issue introduced in 4.15 with commit 6fd9c53f7186 and fixed in 6.11.2 with commit 77a77331cef0
	Issue introduced in 4.15 with commit 6fd9c53f7186 and fixed in 6.12-rc1 with commit b5109b60ee4f

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-47747
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/net/ethernet/seeq/ether3.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/338a0582b28e69460df03af50e938b86b4206353
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/822c7bb1f6f8b0331e8d1927151faf8db3b33afd
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/1c57d61a43293252ad732007c7070fdb112545fd
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/d2abc379071881798d20e2ac1d332ad855ae22f3
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/516dbc6d16637430808c39568cbb6b841d32b55b
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/77a77331cef0a219b8dd91361435eeef04cb741c
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/b5109b60ee4fcb2f2bb24f589575e10cc5283ad4