Subject: CVE-2024-47717: RISC-V: KVM: Don't zero-out PMU snapshot area before freeing data

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

RISC-V: KVM: Don't zero-out PMU snapshot area before freeing data

With the latest Linux-6.11-rc3, the below NULL pointer crash is observed
when SBI PMU snapshot is enabled for the guest and the guest is forcefully
powered-off.

  Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 0000000000000508
  Oops [#1]
  Modules linked in: kvm
  CPU: 0 UID: 0 PID: 61 Comm: term-poll Not tainted 6.11.0-rc3-00018-g44d7178dd77a #3
  Hardware name: riscv-virtio,qemu (DT)
  epc : __kvm_write_guest_page+0x94/0xa6 [kvm]
   ra : __kvm_write_guest_page+0x54/0xa6 [kvm]
  epc : ffffffff01590e98 ra : ffffffff01590e58 sp : ffff8f80001f39b0
   gp : ffffffff81512a60 tp : ffffaf80024872c0 t0 : ffffaf800247e000
   t1 : 00000000000007e0 t2 : 0000000000000000 s0 : ffff8f80001f39f0
   s1 : 00007fff89ac4000 a0 : ffffffff015dd7e8 a1 : 0000000000000086
   a2 : 0000000000000000 a3 : ffffaf8000000000 a4 : ffffaf80024882c0
   a5 : 0000000000000000 a6 : ffffaf800328d780 a7 : 00000000000001cc
   s2 : ffffaf800197bd00 s3 : 00000000000828c4 s4 : ffffaf800248c000
   s5 : ffffaf800247d000 s6 : 0000000000001000 s7 : 0000000000001000
   s8 : 0000000000000000 s9 : 00007fff861fd500 s10: 0000000000000001
   s11: 0000000000800000 t3 : 00000000000004d3 t4 : 00000000000004d3
   t5 : ffffffff814126e0 t6 : ffffffff81412700
  status: 0000000200000120 badaddr: 0000000000000508 cause: 000000000000000d
  [<ffffffff01590e98>] __kvm_write_guest_page+0x94/0xa6 [kvm]
  [<ffffffff015943a6>] kvm_vcpu_write_guest+0x56/0x90 [kvm]
  [<ffffffff015a175c>] kvm_pmu_clear_snapshot_area+0x42/0x7e [kvm]
  [<ffffffff015a1972>] kvm_riscv_vcpu_pmu_deinit.part.0+0xe0/0x14e [kvm]
  [<ffffffff015a2ad0>] kvm_riscv_vcpu_pmu_deinit+0x1a/0x24 [kvm]
  [<ffffffff0159b344>] kvm_arch_vcpu_destroy+0x28/0x4c [kvm]
  [<ffffffff0158e420>] kvm_destroy_vcpus+0x5a/0xda [kvm]
  [<ffffffff0159930c>] kvm_arch_destroy_vm+0x14/0x28 [kvm]
  [<ffffffff01593260>] kvm_destroy_vm+0x168/0x2a0 [kvm]
  [<ffffffff015933d4>] kvm_put_kvm+0x3c/0x58 [kvm]
  [<ffffffff01593412>] kvm_vm_release+0x22/0x2e [kvm]

Clearly, the kvm_vcpu_write_guest() function is crashing because it is
being called from kvm_pmu_clear_snapshot_area() upon guest tear down.

To address the above issue, simplify the kvm_pmu_clear_snapshot_area() to
not zero-out PMU snapshot area from kvm_pmu_clear_snapshot_area() because
the guest is anyway being tore down.

The kvm_pmu_clear_snapshot_area() is also called when guest changes
PMU snapshot area of a VCPU but even in this case the previous PMU
snaphsot area must not be zeroed-out because the guest might have
reclaimed the pervious PMU snapshot area for some other purpose.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-47717 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 6.10 with commit c2f41ddbcdd7 and fixed in 6.10.13 with commit 81aa95fd5bd1
	Issue introduced in 6.10 with commit c2f41ddbcdd7 and fixed in 6.11.2 with commit 6d0a5dcfc78b
	Issue introduced in 6.10 with commit c2f41ddbcdd7 and fixed in 6.12-rc1 with commit 47d40d93292d

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-47717
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	arch/riscv/kvm/vcpu_pmu.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/81aa95fd5bd14ff49617f07fa79a8d1f1cf2ce9a
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/6d0a5dcfc78bd18f2abb9641f83380135494559b
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/47d40d93292d9cff8dabb735bed83d930fa03950