Subject: CVE-2024-47691: f2fs: fix to avoid use-after-free in f2fs_stop_gc_thread()

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

f2fs: fix to avoid use-after-free in f2fs_stop_gc_thread()

syzbot reports a f2fs bug as below:

 __dump_stack lib/dump_stack.c:88 [inline]
 dump_stack_lvl+0x241/0x360 lib/dump_stack.c:114
 print_report+0xe8/0x550 mm/kasan/report.c:491
 kasan_report+0x143/0x180 mm/kasan/report.c:601
 kasan_check_range+0x282/0x290 mm/kasan/generic.c:189
 instrument_atomic_read_write include/linux/instrumented.h:96 [inline]
 atomic_fetch_add_relaxed include/linux/atomic/atomic-instrumented.h:252 [inline]
 __refcount_add include/linux/refcount.h:184 [inline]
 __refcount_inc include/linux/refcount.h:241 [inline]
 refcount_inc include/linux/refcount.h:258 [inline]
 get_task_struct include/linux/sched/task.h:118 [inline]
 kthread_stop+0xca/0x630 kernel/kthread.c:704
 f2fs_stop_gc_thread+0x65/0xb0 fs/f2fs/gc.c:210
 f2fs_do_shutdown+0x192/0x540 fs/f2fs/file.c:2283
 f2fs_ioc_shutdown fs/f2fs/file.c:2325 [inline]
 __f2fs_ioctl+0x443a/0xbe60 fs/f2fs/file.c:4325
 vfs_ioctl fs/ioctl.c:51 [inline]
 __do_sys_ioctl fs/ioctl.c:907 [inline]
 __se_sys_ioctl+0xfc/0x170 fs/ioctl.c:893
 do_syscall_x64 arch/x86/entry/common.c:52 [inline]
 do_syscall_64+0xf3/0x230 arch/x86/entry/common.c:83
 entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x77/0x7f

The root cause is below race condition, it may cause use-after-free
issue in sbi->gc_th pointer.

- remount
 - f2fs_remount
  - f2fs_stop_gc_thread
   - kfree(gc_th)
				- f2fs_ioc_shutdown
				 - f2fs_do_shutdown
				  - f2fs_stop_gc_thread
				   - kthread_stop(gc_th->f2fs_gc_task)
   : sbi->gc_thread = NULL;

We will call f2fs_do_shutdown() in two paths:
- for f2fs_ioc_shutdown() path, we should grab sb->s_umount semaphore
for fixing.
- for f2fs_shutdown() path, it's safe since caller has already grabbed
sb->s_umount semaphore.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-47691 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 4.16 with commit 7950e9ac638e and fixed in 6.6.54 with commit fc18e655b62a
	Issue introduced in 4.16 with commit 7950e9ac638e and fixed in 6.10.13 with commit 7c339dee7eb0
	Issue introduced in 4.16 with commit 7950e9ac638e and fixed in 6.11.2 with commit d79343cd6634
	Issue introduced in 4.16 with commit 7950e9ac638e and fixed in 6.12-rc1 with commit c7f114d864ac

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-47691
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	fs/f2fs/f2fs.h
	fs/f2fs/file.c
	fs/f2fs/super.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/fc18e655b62ac6bc9f12f5de0d749b4a3fe1e812
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/7c339dee7eb0f8e4cadc317c595f898ef04dae30
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/d79343cd66343709e409d96b2abb139a0a55ce34
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/c7f114d864ac91515bb07ac271e9824a20f5ed95