Subject: CVE-2024-46842: scsi: lpfc: Handle mailbox timeouts in lpfc_get_sfp_info

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

scsi: lpfc: Handle mailbox timeouts in lpfc_get_sfp_info

The MBX_TIMEOUT return code is not handled in lpfc_get_sfp_info and the
routine unconditionally frees submitted mailbox commands regardless of
return status.  The issue is that for MBX_TIMEOUT cases, when firmware
returns SFP information at a later time, that same mailbox memory region
references previously freed memory in its cmpl routine.

Fix by adding checks for the MBX_TIMEOUT return code.  During mailbox
resource cleanup, check the mbox flag to make sure that the wait did not
timeout.  If the MBOX_WAKE flag is not set, then do not free the resources
because it will be freed when firmware completes the mailbox at a later
time in its cmpl routine.

Also, increase the timeout from 30 to 60 seconds to accommodate boot
scripts requiring longer timeouts.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-46842 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Fixed in 6.10.10 with commit bba47fe3b038
	Fixed in 6.11 with commit ede596b1434b

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-46842
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/scsi/lpfc/lpfc_els.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/bba47fe3b038cca3d3ebd799665ce69d6d273b58
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/ede596b1434b57c0b3fd5c02b326efe5c54f6e48