Subject: CVE-2024-44991: tcp: prevent concurrent execution of tcp_sk_exit_batch

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

tcp: prevent concurrent execution of tcp_sk_exit_batch

Its possible that two threads call tcp_sk_exit_batch() concurrently,
once from the cleanup_net workqueue, once from a task that failed to clone
a new netns.  In the latter case, error unwinding calls the exit handlers
in reverse order for the 'failed' netns.

tcp_sk_exit_batch() calls tcp_twsk_purge().
Problem is that since commit b099ce2602d8 ("net: Batch inet_twsk_purge"),
this function picks up twsk in any dying netns, not just the one passed
in via exit_batch list.

This means that the error unwind of setup_net() can "steal" and destroy
timewait sockets belonging to the exiting netns.

This allows the netns exit worker to proceed to call

WARN_ON_ONCE(!refcount_dec_and_test(&net->ipv4.tcp_death_row.tw_refcount));

without the expected 1 -> 0 transition, which then splats.

At same time, error unwind path that is also running inet_twsk_purge()
will splat as well:

WARNING: .. at lib/refcount.c:31 refcount_warn_saturate+0x1ed/0x210
...
 refcount_dec include/linux/refcount.h:351 [inline]
 inet_twsk_kill+0x758/0x9c0 net/ipv4/inet_timewait_sock.c:70
 inet_twsk_deschedule_put net/ipv4/inet_timewait_sock.c:221
 inet_twsk_purge+0x725/0x890 net/ipv4/inet_timewait_sock.c:304
 tcp_sk_exit_batch+0x1c/0x170 net/ipv4/tcp_ipv4.c:3522
 ops_exit_list+0x128/0x180 net/core/net_namespace.c:178
 setup_net+0x714/0xb40 net/core/net_namespace.c:375
 copy_net_ns+0x2f0/0x670 net/core/net_namespace.c:508
 create_new_namespaces+0x3ea/0xb10 kernel/nsproxy.c:110

... because refcount_dec() of tw_refcount unexpectedly dropped to 0.

This doesn't seem like an actual bug (no tw sockets got lost and I don't
see a use-after-free) but as erroneous trigger of debug check.

Add a mutex to force strict ordering: the task that calls tcp_twsk_purge()
blocks other task from doing final _dec_and_test before mutex-owner has
removed all tw sockets of dying netns.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-44991 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 6.1 with commit e9bd0cca09d1 and fixed in 6.1.107 with commit e3d9de3742f4
	Issue introduced in 6.1 with commit e9bd0cca09d1 and fixed in 6.6.48 with commit 99580ae890ec
	Issue introduced in 6.1 with commit e9bd0cca09d1 and fixed in 6.10.7 with commit f6fd2dbf584a
	Issue introduced in 6.1 with commit e9bd0cca09d1 and fixed in 6.11 with commit 565d121b6998

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-44991
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	net/ipv4/tcp_ipv4.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/e3d9de3742f4d5c47ae35f888d3023a5b54fcd2f
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/99580ae890ec8bd98b21a2a9c6668f8f1555b62e
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/f6fd2dbf584a4047ba88d1369ff91c9851261ec1
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/565d121b69980637f040eb4d84289869cdaabedf