Subject: CVE-2024-44964: idpf: fix memory leaks and crashes while performing a soft reset

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

idpf: fix memory leaks and crashes while performing a soft reset

The second tagged commit introduced a UAF, as it removed restoring
q_vector->vport pointers after reinitializating the structures.
This is due to that all queue allocation functions are performed here
with the new temporary vport structure and those functions rewrite
the backpointers to the vport. Then, this new struct is freed and
the pointers start leading to nowhere.

But generally speaking, the current logic is very fragile. It claims
to be more reliable when the system is low on memory, but in fact, it
consumes two times more memory as at the moment of running this
function, there are two vports allocated with their queues and vectors.
Moreover, it claims to prevent the driver from running into "bad state",
but in fact, any error during the rebuild leaves the old vport in the
partially allocated state.
Finally, if the interface is down when the function is called, it always
allocates a new queue set, but when the user decides to enable the
interface later on, vport_open() allocates them once again, IOW there's
a clear memory leak here.

Just don't allocate a new queue set when performing a reset, that solves
crashes and memory leaks. Readd the old queue number and reopen the
interface on rollback - that solves limbo states when the device is left
disabled and/or without HW queues enabled.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-44964 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 6.7 with commit 02cbfba1add5 and fixed in 6.10.5 with commit 6b289f8d9153
	Issue introduced in 6.7 with commit 02cbfba1add5 and fixed in 6.11 with commit f01032a2ca09

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-44964
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/net/ethernet/intel/idpf/idpf_lib.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/6b289f8d91537ec1e4f9c7b38b31b90d93b1419b
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/f01032a2ca099ec8d619aaa916c3762aa62495df