Subject: CVE-2024-43817: net: missing check virtio

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

net: missing check virtio

Two missing check in virtio_net_hdr_to_skb() allowed syzbot
to crash kernels again

1. After the skb_segment function the buffer may become non-linear
(nr_frags != 0), but since the SKBTX_SHARED_FRAG flag is not set anywhere
the __skb_linearize function will not be executed, then the buffer will
remain non-linear. Then the condition (offset >= skb_headlen(skb))
becomes true, which causes WARN_ON_ONCE in skb_checksum_help.

2. The struct sk_buff and struct virtio_net_hdr members must be
mathematically related.
(gso_size) must be greater than (needed) otherwise WARN_ON_ONCE.
(remainder) must be greater than (needed) otherwise WARN_ON_ONCE.
(remainder) may be 0 if division is without remainder.

offset+2 (4191) > skb_headlen() (1116)
WARNING: CPU: 1 PID: 5084 at net/core/dev.c:3303 skb_checksum_help+0x5e2/0x740 net/core/dev.c:3303
Modules linked in:
CPU: 1 PID: 5084 Comm: syz-executor336 Not tainted 6.7.0-rc3-syzkaller-00014-gdf60cee26a2e #0
Hardware name: Google Compute Engine/Google Compute Engine, BIOS Google 11/10/2023
RIP: 0010:skb_checksum_help+0x5e2/0x740 net/core/dev.c:3303
Code: 89 e8 83 e0 07 83 c0 03 38 d0 7c 08 84 d2 0f 85 52 01 00 00 44 89 e2 2b 53 74 4c 89 ee 48 c7 c7 40 57 e9 8b e8 af 8f dd f8 90 <0f> 0b 90 90 e9 87 fe ff ff e8 40 0f 6e f9 e9 4b fa ff ff 48 89 ef
RSP: 0018:ffffc90003a9f338 EFLAGS: 00010286
RAX: 0000000000000000 RBX: ffff888025125780 RCX: ffffffff814db209
RDX: ffff888015393b80 RSI: ffffffff814db216 RDI: 0000000000000001
RBP: ffff8880251257f4 R08: 0000000000000001 R09: 0000000000000000
R10: 0000000000000000 R11: 0000000000000001 R12: 000000000000045c
R13: 000000000000105f R14: ffff8880251257f0 R15: 000000000000105d
FS:  0000555555c24380(0000) GS:ffff8880b9900000(0000) knlGS:0000000000000000
CS:  0010 DS: 0000 ES: 0000 CR0: 0000000080050033
CR2: 000000002000f000 CR3: 0000000023151000 CR4: 00000000003506f0
DR0: 0000000000000000 DR1: 0000000000000000 DR2: 0000000000000000
DR3: 0000000000000000 DR6: 00000000fffe0ff0 DR7: 0000000000000400
Call Trace:
 <TASK>
 ip_do_fragment+0xa1b/0x18b0 net/ipv4/ip_output.c:777
 ip_fragment.constprop.0+0x161/0x230 net/ipv4/ip_output.c:584
 ip_finish_output_gso net/ipv4/ip_output.c:286 [inline]
 __ip_finish_output net/ipv4/ip_output.c:308 [inline]
 __ip_finish_output+0x49c/0x650 net/ipv4/ip_output.c:295
 ip_finish_output+0x31/0x310 net/ipv4/ip_output.c:323
 NF_HOOK_COND include/linux/netfilter.h:303 [inline]
 ip_output+0x13b/0x2a0 net/ipv4/ip_output.c:433
 dst_output include/net/dst.h:451 [inline]
 ip_local_out+0xaf/0x1a0 net/ipv4/ip_output.c:129
 iptunnel_xmit+0x5b4/0x9b0 net/ipv4/ip_tunnel_core.c:82
 ipip6_tunnel_xmit net/ipv6/sit.c:1034 [inline]
 sit_tunnel_xmit+0xed2/0x28f0 net/ipv6/sit.c:1076
 __netdev_start_xmit include/linux/netdevice.h:4940 [inline]
 netdev_start_xmit include/linux/netdevice.h:4954 [inline]
 xmit_one net/core/dev.c:3545 [inline]
 dev_hard_start_xmit+0x13d/0x6d0 net/core/dev.c:3561
 __dev_queue_xmit+0x7c1/0x3d60 net/core/dev.c:4346
 dev_queue_xmit include/linux/netdevice.h:3134 [inline]
 packet_xmit+0x257/0x380 net/packet/af_packet.c:276
 packet_snd net/packet/af_packet.c:3087 [inline]
 packet_sendmsg+0x24ca/0x5240 net/packet/af_packet.c:3119
 sock_sendmsg_nosec net/socket.c:730 [inline]
 __sock_sendmsg+0xd5/0x180 net/socket.c:745
 __sys_sendto+0x255/0x340 net/socket.c:2190
 __do_sys_sendto net/socket.c:2202 [inline]
 __se_sys_sendto net/socket.c:2198 [inline]
 __x64_sys_sendto+0xe0/0x1b0 net/socket.c:2198
 do_syscall_x64 arch/x86/entry/common.c:51 [inline]
 do_syscall_64+0x40/0x110 arch/x86/entry/common.c:82
 entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x63/0x6b

Found by Linux Verification Center (linuxtesting.org) with Syzkaller

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-43817 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.12 with commit 0f6925b3e8da and fixed in 5.15.165 with commit 27874ca77bd2
	Issue introduced in 5.12 with commit 0f6925b3e8da and fixed in 6.1.103 with commit 5b1997487a3f
	Issue introduced in 5.12 with commit 0f6925b3e8da and fixed in 6.6.44 with commit 90d41ebe0cd4
	Issue introduced in 5.12 with commit 0f6925b3e8da and fixed in 6.10.3 with commit e9164903b8b3
	Issue introduced in 5.12 with commit 0f6925b3e8da and fixed in 6.11 with commit e269d79c7d35
	Issue introduced in 4.14.242 with commit 2789bc090f4a
	Issue introduced in 4.19.201 with commit 16851e34b621
	Issue introduced in 5.4.121 with commit a05fb4ac72fb
	Issue introduced in 5.10.39 with commit a36703d08c83

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-43817
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	include/linux/virtio_net.h

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/27874ca77bd2b05a3779c7b3a5c75d8dd7f0b40f
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/5b1997487a3f3373b0f580c8a20b56c1b64b0775
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/90d41ebe0cd4635f6410471efc1dd71b33e894cf
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/e9164903b8b303c34723177b02fe91e49e3c4cd7
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/e269d79c7d35aa3808b1f3c1737d63dab504ddc8