Subject: CVE-2024-42256: cifs: Fix server re-repick on subrequest retry

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

cifs: Fix server re-repick on subrequest retry

When a subrequest is marked for needing retry, netfs will call
cifs_prepare_write() which will make cifs repick the server for the op
before renegotiating credits; it then calls cifs_issue_write() which
invokes smb2_async_writev() - which re-repicks the server.

If a different server is then selected, this causes the increment of
server->in_flight to happen against one record and the decrement to happen
against another, leading to misaccounting.

Fix this by just removing the repick code in smb2_async_writev().  As this
is only called from netfslib-driven code, cifs_prepare_write() should
always have been called first, and so server should never be NULL and the
preparatory step is repeated in the event that we do a retry.

The problem manifests as a warning looking something like:

 WARNING: CPU: 4 PID: 72896 at fs/smb/client/smb2ops.c:97 smb2_add_credits+0x3f0/0x9e0 [cifs]
 ...
 RIP: 0010:smb2_add_credits+0x3f0/0x9e0 [cifs]
 ...
  smb2_writev_callback+0x334/0x560 [cifs]
  cifs_demultiplex_thread+0x77a/0x11b0 [cifs]
  kthread+0x187/0x1d0
  ret_from_fork+0x34/0x60
  ret_from_fork_asm+0x1a/0x30

Which may be triggered by a number of different xfstests running against an
Azure server in multichannel mode.  generic/249 seems the most repeatable,
but generic/215, generic/249 and generic/308 may also show it.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-42256 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 6.10 with commit 3ee1a1fc3981 and fixed in 6.10.1 with commit b1d0a566769b
	Issue introduced in 6.10 with commit 3ee1a1fc3981 and fixed in 6.11 with commit de40579b9038

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-42256
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	fs/smb/client/smb2pdu.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/b1d0a566769b6fb3795b5289fc1daf9e0638d97a
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/de40579b903883274fe203865f29d66b168b7236