Subject: CVE-2024-42241: mm/shmem: disable PMD-sized page cache if needed

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

mm/shmem: disable PMD-sized page cache if needed

For shmem files, it's possible that PMD-sized page cache can't be
supported by xarray.  For example, 512MB page cache on ARM64 when the base
page size is 64KB can't be supported by xarray.  It leads to errors as the
following messages indicate when this sort of xarray entry is split.

WARNING: CPU: 34 PID: 7578 at lib/xarray.c:1025 xas_split_alloc+0xf8/0x128
Modules linked in: binfmt_misc nft_fib_inet nft_fib_ipv4 nft_fib_ipv6   \
nft_fib nft_reject_inet nf_reject_ipv4 nf_reject_ipv6 nft_reject        \
nft_ct nft_chain_nat nf_nat nf_conntrack nf_defrag_ipv6 nf_defrag_ipv4  \
ip_set rfkill nf_tables nfnetlink vfat fat virtio_balloon drm fuse xfs  \
libcrc32c crct10dif_ce ghash_ce sha2_ce sha256_arm64 sha1_ce virtio_net \
net_failover virtio_console virtio_blk failover dimlib virtio_mmio
CPU: 34 PID: 7578 Comm: test Kdump: loaded Tainted: G W 6.10.0-rc5-gavin+ #9
Hardware name: QEMU KVM Virtual Machine, BIOS edk2-20240524-1.el9 05/24/2024
pstate: 83400005 (Nzcv daif +PAN -UAO +TCO +DIT -SSBS BTYPE=--)
pc : xas_split_alloc+0xf8/0x128
lr : split_huge_page_to_list_to_order+0x1c4/0x720
sp : ffff8000882af5f0
x29: ffff8000882af5f0 x28: ffff8000882af650 x27: ffff8000882af768
x26: 0000000000000cc0 x25: 000000000000000d x24: ffff00010625b858
x23: ffff8000882af650 x22: ffffffdfc0900000 x21: 0000000000000000
x20: 0000000000000000 x19: ffffffdfc0900000 x18: 0000000000000000
x17: 0000000000000000 x16: 0000018000000000 x15: 52f8004000000000
x14: 0000e00000000000 x13: 0000000000002000 x12: 0000000000000020
x11: 52f8000000000000 x10: 52f8e1c0ffff6000 x9 : ffffbeb9619a681c
x8 : 0000000000000003 x7 : 0000000000000000 x6 : ffff00010b02ddb0
x5 : ffffbeb96395e378 x4 : 0000000000000000 x3 : 0000000000000cc0
x2 : 000000000000000d x1 : 000000000000000c x0 : 0000000000000000
Call trace:
 xas_split_alloc+0xf8/0x128
 split_huge_page_to_list_to_order+0x1c4/0x720
 truncate_inode_partial_folio+0xdc/0x160
 shmem_undo_range+0x2bc/0x6a8
 shmem_fallocate+0x134/0x430
 vfs_fallocate+0x124/0x2e8
 ksys_fallocate+0x4c/0xa0
 __arm64_sys_fallocate+0x24/0x38
 invoke_syscall.constprop.0+0x7c/0xd8
 do_el0_svc+0xb4/0xd0
 el0_svc+0x44/0x1d8
 el0t_64_sync_handler+0x134/0x150
 el0t_64_sync+0x17c/0x180

Fix it by disabling PMD-sized page cache when HPAGE_PMD_ORDER is larger
than MAX_PAGECACHE_ORDER.  As Matthew Wilcox pointed, the page cache in a
shmem file isn't represented by a multi-index entry and doesn't have this
limitation when the xarry entry is split until commit 6b24ca4a1a8d ("mm:
Use multi-index entries in the page cache").

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-42241 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.17 with commit 6b24ca4a1a8d and fixed in 6.6.41 with commit 93893eacb372
	Issue introduced in 5.17 with commit 6b24ca4a1a8d and fixed in 6.9.10 with commit cd25208ca9b0
	Issue introduced in 5.17 with commit 6b24ca4a1a8d and fixed in 6.10 with commit 9fd154ba926b

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-42241
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	mm/shmem.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/93893eacb372b0a4a30f7de6609b08c3ba6c4fd9
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/cd25208ca9b0097f8e079d692fc678f36fdbc3f9
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/9fd154ba926b34c833b7bfc4c14ee2e931b3d743