Subject: CVE-2024-42136: cdrom: rearrange last_media_change check to avoid unintentional overflow

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

cdrom: rearrange last_media_change check to avoid unintentional overflow

When running syzkaller with the newly reintroduced signed integer wrap
sanitizer we encounter this splat:

[  366.015950] UBSAN: signed-integer-overflow in ../drivers/cdrom/cdrom.c:2361:33
[  366.021089] -9223372036854775808 - 346321 cannot be represented in type '__s64' (aka 'long long')
[  366.025894] program syz-executor.4 is using a deprecated SCSI ioctl, please convert it to SG_IO
[  366.027502] CPU: 5 PID: 28472 Comm: syz-executor.7 Not tainted 6.8.0-rc2-00035-gb3ef86b5a957 #1
[  366.027512] Hardware name: QEMU Standard PC (i440FX + PIIX, 1996), BIOS 1.16.3-debian-1.16.3-2 04/01/2014
[  366.027518] Call Trace:
[  366.027523]  <TASK>
[  366.027533]  dump_stack_lvl+0x93/0xd0
[  366.027899]  handle_overflow+0x171/0x1b0
[  366.038787] ata1.00: invalid multi_count 32 ignored
[  366.043924]  cdrom_ioctl+0x2c3f/0x2d10
[  366.063932]  ? __pm_runtime_resume+0xe6/0x130
[  366.071923]  sr_block_ioctl+0x15d/0x1d0
[  366.074624]  ? __pfx_sr_block_ioctl+0x10/0x10
[  366.077642]  blkdev_ioctl+0x419/0x500
[  366.080231]  ? __pfx_blkdev_ioctl+0x10/0x10
...

Historically, the signed integer overflow sanitizer did not work in the
kernel due to its interaction with `-fwrapv` but this has since been
changed [1] in the newest version of Clang. It was re-enabled in the
kernel with Commit 557f8c582a9ba8ab ("ubsan: Reintroduce signed overflow
sanitizer").

Let's rearrange the check to not perform any arithmetic, thus not
tripping the sanitizer.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-42136 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Fixed in 6.1.98 with commit 0c97527e9160
	Fixed in 6.6.39 with commit 3ee21e14c8c3
	Fixed in 6.9.9 with commit e809bc112712
	Fixed in 6.10 with commit efb905aeb44b

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-42136
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/cdrom/cdrom.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/0c97527e916054acc4a46ffb02842988acb2e92b
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/3ee21e14c8c329168a0b66bab00ecd18f5d0dee3
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/e809bc112712da8f7e15822674c6562da6cdf24c
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/efb905aeb44b0e99c0e6b07865b1885ae0471ebf