Subject: CVE-2024-42090: pinctrl: fix deadlock in create_pinctrl() when handling -EPROBE_DEFER

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

pinctrl: fix deadlock in create_pinctrl() when handling -EPROBE_DEFER

In create_pinctrl(), pinctrl_maps_mutex is acquired before calling
add_setting(). If add_setting() returns -EPROBE_DEFER, create_pinctrl()
calls pinctrl_free(). However, pinctrl_free() attempts to acquire
pinctrl_maps_mutex, which is already held by create_pinctrl(), leading to
a potential deadlock.

This patch resolves the issue by releasing pinctrl_maps_mutex before
calling pinctrl_free(), preventing the deadlock.

This bug was discovered and resolved using Coverity Static Analysis
Security Testing (SAST) by Synopsys, Inc.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-42090 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 3.10 with commit 42fed7ba44e4 and fixed in 4.19.317 with commit e65a0dc2e85e
	Issue introduced in 3.10 with commit 42fed7ba44e4 and fixed in 5.4.279 with commit 420ce1261907
	Issue introduced in 3.10 with commit 42fed7ba44e4 and fixed in 5.10.221 with commit b813e3fd102a
	Issue introduced in 3.10 with commit 42fed7ba44e4 and fixed in 5.15.162 with commit 01fe2f885f78
	Issue introduced in 3.10 with commit 42fed7ba44e4 and fixed in 6.1.97 with commit b36efd2e3e22
	Issue introduced in 3.10 with commit 42fed7ba44e4 and fixed in 6.6.37 with commit 4038c57bf616
	Issue introduced in 3.10 with commit 42fed7ba44e4 and fixed in 6.9.8 with commit 48a7a7c9571c
	Issue introduced in 3.10 with commit 42fed7ba44e4 and fixed in 6.10 with commit adec57ff8e66

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-42090
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/pinctrl/core.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/e65a0dc2e85efb28e182aca50218e8a056d0ce04
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/420ce1261907e5dbeda1e4daffd5b6c76f8188c0
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/b813e3fd102a959c5b208ed68afe27e0137a561b
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/01fe2f885f7813f8aed5d3704b384a97b1116a9e
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/b36efd2e3e22a329444b6b24fa48df6d20ae66e6
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/4038c57bf61631219b31f1bd6e92106ec7f084dc
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/48a7a7c9571c3e62f17012dd7f2063e926179ddd
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/adec57ff8e66aee632f3dd1f93787c13d112b7a1