Subject: CVE-2024-41085: cxl/mem: Fix no cxl_nvd during pmem region auto-assembling

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

cxl/mem: Fix no cxl_nvd during pmem region auto-assembling

When CXL subsystem is auto-assembling a pmem region during cxl
endpoint port probing, always hit below calltrace.

 BUG: kernel NULL pointer dereference, address: 0000000000000078
 #PF: supervisor read access in kernel mode
 #PF: error_code(0x0000) - not-present page
 RIP: 0010:cxl_pmem_region_probe+0x22e/0x360 [cxl_pmem]
 Call Trace:
  <TASK>
  ? __die+0x24/0x70
  ? page_fault_oops+0x82/0x160
  ? do_user_addr_fault+0x65/0x6b0
  ? exc_page_fault+0x7d/0x170
  ? asm_exc_page_fault+0x26/0x30
  ? cxl_pmem_region_probe+0x22e/0x360 [cxl_pmem]
  ? cxl_pmem_region_probe+0x1ac/0x360 [cxl_pmem]
  cxl_bus_probe+0x1b/0x60 [cxl_core]
  really_probe+0x173/0x410
  ? __pfx___device_attach_driver+0x10/0x10
  __driver_probe_device+0x80/0x170
  driver_probe_device+0x1e/0x90
  __device_attach_driver+0x90/0x120
  bus_for_each_drv+0x84/0xe0
  __device_attach+0xbc/0x1f0
  bus_probe_device+0x90/0xa0
  device_add+0x51c/0x710
  devm_cxl_add_pmem_region+0x1b5/0x380 [cxl_core]
  cxl_bus_probe+0x1b/0x60 [cxl_core]

The cxl_nvd of the memdev needs to be available during the pmem region
probe. Currently the cxl_nvd is registered after the endpoint port probe.
The endpoint probe, in the case of autoassembly of regions, can cause a
pmem region probe requiring the not yet available cxl_nvd. Adjust the
sequence so this dependency is met.

This requires adding a port parameter to cxl_find_nvdimm_bridge() that
can be used to query the ancestor root port. The endpoint port is not
yet available, but will share a common ancestor with its parent, so
start the query from there instead.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-41085 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 6.2 with commit f17b558d6663 and fixed in 6.9.8 with commit 1d064e4fbebc
	Issue introduced in 6.2 with commit f17b558d6663 and fixed in 6.10 with commit 84ec985944ef

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-41085
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/cxl/core/pmem.c
	drivers/cxl/core/region.c
	drivers/cxl/cxl.h
	drivers/cxl/mem.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/1d064e4fbebcf5b18dc10c1f3973487eb163b600
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/84ec985944ef34a34a1605b93ce401aa8737af96