Subject: CVE-2024-39499: vmci: prevent speculation leaks by sanitizing event in event_deliver()

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

vmci: prevent speculation leaks by sanitizing event in event_deliver()

Coverity spotted that event_msg is controlled by user-space,
event_msg->event_data.event is passed to event_deliver() and used
as an index without sanitization.

This change ensures that the event index is sanitized to mitigate any
possibility of speculative information leaks.

This bug was discovered and resolved using Coverity Static Analysis
Security Testing (SAST) by Synopsys, Inc.

Only compile tested, no access to HW.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-39499 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 3.9 with commit 1d990201f9bb and fixed in 4.19.317 with commit 58730dfbd4ae
	Issue introduced in 3.9 with commit 1d990201f9bb and fixed in 5.4.279 with commit 681967c4ff21
	Issue introduced in 3.9 with commit 1d990201f9bb and fixed in 5.10.221 with commit f70ff7373467
	Issue introduced in 3.9 with commit 1d990201f9bb and fixed in 5.15.162 with commit 95ac3e773a1f
	Issue introduced in 3.9 with commit 1d990201f9bb and fixed in 6.1.95 with commit 95bac1c8bedb
	Issue introduced in 3.9 with commit 1d990201f9bb and fixed in 6.6.35 with commit e293c6b38ac9
	Issue introduced in 3.9 with commit 1d990201f9bb and fixed in 6.9.6 with commit 757804e1c599
	Issue introduced in 3.9 with commit 1d990201f9bb and fixed in 6.10 with commit 8003f00d8953

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-39499
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/misc/vmw_vmci/vmci_event.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/58730dfbd4ae01c1b022b0d234a8bf8c02cdfb81
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/681967c4ff210e06380acf9b9a1b33ae06e77cbd
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/f70ff737346744633e7b655c1fb23e1578491ff3
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/95ac3e773a1f8da83c4710a720fbfe80055aafae
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/95bac1c8bedb362374ea1937b1d3e833e01174ee
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/e293c6b38ac9029d76ff0d2a6b2d74131709a9a8
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/757804e1c599af5d2a7f864c8e8b2842406ff4bb
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/8003f00d895310d409b2bf9ef907c56b42a4e0f4