Subject: CVE-2024-49955: ACPI: battery: Fix possible crash when unregistering a battery hook

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

ACPI: battery: Fix possible crash when unregistering a battery hook

When a battery hook returns an error when adding a new battery, then
the battery hook is automatically unregistered.
However the battery hook provider cannot know that, so it will later
call battery_hook_unregister() on the already unregistered battery
hook, resulting in a crash.

Fix this by using the list head to mark already unregistered battery
hooks as already being unregistered so that they can be ignored by
battery_hook_unregister().

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-49955 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 4.17 with commit fa93854f7a7e and fixed in 5.10.227 with commit da964de4c181
	Issue introduced in 4.17 with commit fa93854f7a7e and fixed in 5.15.168 with commit 07b98400cb02
	Issue introduced in 4.17 with commit fa93854f7a7e and fixed in 6.1.113 with commit ca1fb7942a28
	Issue introduced in 4.17 with commit fa93854f7a7e and fixed in 6.6.55 with commit ce31847f109c
	Issue introduced in 4.17 with commit fa93854f7a7e and fixed in 6.10.14 with commit ca26e8eed9c1
	Issue introduced in 4.17 with commit fa93854f7a7e and fixed in 6.11.3 with commit 9f469ef1c79d
	Issue introduced in 4.17 with commit fa93854f7a7e and fixed in 6.12-rc2 with commit 76959aff14a0

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-49955
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/acpi/battery.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/da964de4c18199e14b961b5b2e5e6570552a313c
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/07b98400cb0285a6348188aa8c5ec6a2ae0551f7
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/ca1fb7942a287b40659cc79551a1de54a2c2e7d5
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/ce31847f109c3a5b2abdd19d7bcaafaacfde53de
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/ca26e8eed9c1c6651f51f7fa38fe444f8573cd1b
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/9f469ef1c79dac7f9ac1518643a33703918f7e13
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/76959aff14a0012ad6b984ec7686d163deccdc16