Subject: CVE-2024-47744: KVM: Use dedicated mutex to protect kvm_usage_count to avoid deadlock

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

KVM: Use dedicated mutex to protect kvm_usage_count to avoid deadlock

Use a dedicated mutex to guard kvm_usage_count to fix a potential deadlock
on x86 due to a chain of locks and SRCU synchronizations.  Translating the
below lockdep splat, CPU1 #6 will wait on CPU0 #1, CPU0 #8 will wait on
CPU2 #3, and CPU2 #7 will wait on CPU1 #4 (if there's a writer, due to the
fairness of r/w semaphores).

    CPU0                     CPU1                     CPU2
1   lock(&kvm->slots_lock);
2                                                     lock(&vcpu->mutex);
3                                                     lock(&kvm->srcu);
4                            lock(cpu_hotplug_lock);
5                            lock(kvm_lock);
6                            lock(&kvm->slots_lock);
7                                                     lock(cpu_hotplug_lock);
8   sync(&kvm->srcu);

Note, there are likely more potential deadlocks in KVM x86, e.g. the same
pattern of taking cpu_hotplug_lock outside of kvm_lock likely exists with
__kvmclock_cpufreq_notifier():

  cpuhp_cpufreq_online()
  |
  -> cpufreq_online()
     |
     -> cpufreq_gov_performance_limits()
        |
        -> __cpufreq_driver_target()
           |
           -> __target_index()
              |
              -> cpufreq_freq_transition_begin()
                 |
                 -> cpufreq_notify_transition()
                    |
                    -> ... __kvmclock_cpufreq_notifier()

But, actually triggering such deadlocks is beyond rare due to the
combination of dependencies and timings involved.  E.g. the cpufreq
notifier is only used on older CPUs without a constant TSC, mucking with
the NX hugepage mitigation while VMs are running is very uncommon, and
doing so while also onlining/offlining a CPU (necessary to generate
contention on cpu_hotplug_lock) would be even more unusual.

The most robust solution to the general cpu_hotplug_lock issue is likely
to switch vm_list to be an RCU-protected list, e.g. so that x86's cpufreq
notifier doesn't to take kvm_lock.  For now, settle for fixing the most
blatant deadlock, as switching to an RCU-protected list is a much more
involved change, but add a comment in locking.rst to call out that care
needs to be taken when walking holding kvm_lock and walking vm_list.

  ======================================================
  WARNING: possible circular locking dependency detected
  6.10.0-smp--c257535a0c9d-pip #330 Tainted: G S         O
  ------------------------------------------------------
  tee/35048 is trying to acquire lock:
  ff6a80eced71e0a8 (&kvm->slots_lock){+.+.}-{3:3}, at: set_nx_huge_pages+0x179/0x1e0 [kvm]

  but task is already holding lock:
  ffffffffc07abb08 (kvm_lock){+.+.}-{3:3}, at: set_nx_huge_pages+0x14a/0x1e0 [kvm]

  which lock already depends on the new lock.

   the existing dependency chain (in reverse order) is:

  -> #3 (kvm_lock){+.+.}-{3:3}:
         __mutex_lock+0x6a/0xb40
         mutex_lock_nested+0x1f/0x30
         kvm_dev_ioctl+0x4fb/0xe50 [kvm]
         __se_sys_ioctl+0x7b/0xd0
         __x64_sys_ioctl+0x21/0x30
         x64_sys_call+0x15d0/0x2e60
         do_syscall_64+0x83/0x160
         entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x76/0x7e

  -> #2 (cpu_hotplug_lock){++++}-{0:0}:
         cpus_read_lock+0x2e/0xb0
         static_key_slow_inc+0x16/0x30
         kvm_lapic_set_base+0x6a/0x1c0 [kvm]
         kvm_set_apic_base+0x8f/0xe0 [kvm]
         kvm_set_msr_common+0x9ae/0xf80 [kvm]
         vmx_set_msr+0xa54/0xbe0 [kvm_intel]
         __kvm_set_msr+0xb6/0x1a0 [kvm]
         kvm_arch_vcpu_ioctl+0xeca/0x10c0 [kvm]
         kvm_vcpu_ioctl+0x485/0x5b0 [kvm]
         __se_sys_ioctl+0x7b/0xd0
         __x64_sys_ioctl+0x21/0x30
         x64_sys_call+0x15d0/0x2e60
         do_syscall_64+0x83/0x160
         entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x76/0x7e

  -> #1 (&kvm->srcu){.+.+}-{0:0}:
         __synchronize_srcu+0x44/0x1a0
         synchronize_srcu_expedited+0x21/0x30
         kvm_swap_active_memslots+0x110/0x1c0 [kvm]
         kvm_set_memslot+0x360/0x620 [kvm]
         __kvm_set_memory_region+0x27b/0x300 [kvm]
         kvm_vm_ioctl_set_memory_region+0x43/0x60 [kvm]
         kvm_vm_ioctl+0x295/0x650 [kvm]
         __se_sys_ioctl+0x7b/0xd0
         __x64_sys_ioctl+0x21/0x30
         x64_sys_call+0x15d0/0x2e60
         do_syscall_64+0x83/0x160
         entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x76/0x7e

  -> #0 (&kvm->slots_lock){+.+.}-{3:3}:
         __lock_acquire+0x15ef/0x2e30
         lock_acquire+0xe0/0x260
         __mutex_lock+0x6a/0xb40
         mutex_lock_nested+0x1f/0x30
         set_nx_huge_pages+0x179/0x1e0 [kvm]
         param_attr_store+0x93/0x100
         module_attr_store+0x22/0x40
         sysfs_kf_write+0x81/0xb0
         kernfs_fop_write_iter+0x133/0x1d0
         vfs_write+0x28d/0x380
         ksys_write+0x70/0xe0
         __x64_sys_write+0x1f/0x30
         x64_sys_call+0x281b/0x2e60
         do_syscall_64+0x83/0x160
         entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x76/0x7e

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-47744 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 6.3 with commit 0bf50497f03b and fixed in 6.6.54 with commit 4777225ec89f
	Issue introduced in 6.3 with commit 0bf50497f03b and fixed in 6.10.13 with commit a2764afce521
	Issue introduced in 6.3 with commit 0bf50497f03b and fixed in 6.11.2 with commit 760a196e6dcb
	Issue introduced in 6.3 with commit 0bf50497f03b and fixed in 6.12-rc1 with commit 44d174596260

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-47744
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	Documentation/virt/kvm/locking.rst
	virt/kvm/kvm_main.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/4777225ec89f52bb9ca16a33cfb44c189f1b7b47
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/a2764afce521fd9fd7a5ff6ed52ac2095873128a
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/760a196e6dcb29580e468b44b5400171dae184d8
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/44d17459626052a2390457e550a12cb973506b2f