Subject: CVE-2024-46834: ethtool: fail closed if we can't get max channel used in indirection tables

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

ethtool: fail closed if we can't get max channel used in indirection tables

Commit 0d1b7d6c9274 ("bnxt: fix crashes when reducing ring count with
active RSS contexts") proves that allowing indirection table to contain
channels with out of bounds IDs may lead to crashes. Currently the
max channel check in the core gets skipped if driver can't fetch
the indirection table or when we can't allocate memory.

Both of those conditions should be extremely rare but if they do
happen we should try to be safe and fail the channel change.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-46834 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Fixed in 6.10.10 with commit 101737d8b88d
	Fixed in 6.11 with commit 2899d58462ba

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-46834
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	net/ethtool/channels.c
	net/ethtool/common.c
	net/ethtool/common.h
	net/ethtool/ioctl.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/101737d8b88dbd4be6010bac398fe810f1950036
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/2899d58462ba868287d6ff3acad3675e7adf934f