Subject: CVE-2024-46770: ice: Add netif_device_attach/detach into PF reset flow

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

ice: Add netif_device_attach/detach into PF reset flow

Ethtool callbacks can be executed while reset is in progress and try to
access deleted resources, e.g. getting coalesce settings can result in a
NULL pointer dereference seen below.

Reproduction steps:
Once the driver is fully initialized, trigger reset:
	# echo 1 > /sys/class/net/<interface>/device/reset
when reset is in progress try to get coalesce settings using ethtool:
	# ethtool -c <interface>

BUG: kernel NULL pointer dereference, address: 0000000000000020
PGD 0 P4D 0
Oops: Oops: 0000 [#1] PREEMPT SMP PTI
CPU: 11 PID: 19713 Comm: ethtool Tainted: G S                 6.10.0-rc7+ #7
RIP: 0010:ice_get_q_coalesce+0x2e/0xa0 [ice]
RSP: 0018:ffffbab1e9bcf6a8 EFLAGS: 00010206
RAX: 000000000000000c RBX: ffff94512305b028 RCX: 0000000000000000
RDX: 0000000000000000 RSI: ffff9451c3f2e588 RDI: ffff9451c3f2e588
RBP: 0000000000000000 R08: 0000000000000000 R09: 0000000000000000
R10: ffff9451c3f2e580 R11: 000000000000001f R12: ffff945121fa9000
R13: ffffbab1e9bcf760 R14: 0000000000000013 R15: ffffffff9e65dd40
FS:  00007faee5fbe740(0000) GS:ffff94546fd80000(0000) knlGS:0000000000000000
CS:  0010 DS: 0000 ES: 0000 CR0: 0000000080050033
CR2: 0000000000000020 CR3: 0000000106c2e005 CR4: 00000000001706f0
Call Trace:
<TASK>
ice_get_coalesce+0x17/0x30 [ice]
coalesce_prepare_data+0x61/0x80
ethnl_default_doit+0xde/0x340
genl_family_rcv_msg_doit+0xf2/0x150
genl_rcv_msg+0x1b3/0x2c0
netlink_rcv_skb+0x5b/0x110
genl_rcv+0x28/0x40
netlink_unicast+0x19c/0x290
netlink_sendmsg+0x222/0x490
__sys_sendto+0x1df/0x1f0
__x64_sys_sendto+0x24/0x30
do_syscall_64+0x82/0x160
entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x76/0x7e
RIP: 0033:0x7faee60d8e27

Calling netif_device_detach() before reset makes the net core not call
the driver when ethtool command is issued, the attempt to execute an
ethtool command during reset will result in the following message:

    netlink error: No such device

instead of NULL pointer dereference. Once reset is done and
ice_rebuild() is executing, the netif_device_attach() is called to allow
for ethtool operations to occur again in a safe manner.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-46770 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 4.17 with commit fcea6f3da546 and fixed in 6.1.110 with commit 9e3ffb839249
	Issue introduced in 4.17 with commit fcea6f3da546 and fixed in 6.6.51 with commit efe8effe1380
	Issue introduced in 4.17 with commit fcea6f3da546 and fixed in 6.10.10 with commit 36486c9e8e01
	Issue introduced in 4.17 with commit fcea6f3da546 and fixed in 6.11 with commit d11a67634227

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-46770
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/net/ethernet/intel/ice/ice_main.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/9e3ffb839249eca113062587659224f856fe14e5
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/efe8effe138044a4747d1112ebb8c454d1663723
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/36486c9e8e01b84faaee47203eac0b7e9cc7fa4a
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/d11a67634227f9f9da51938af085fb41a733848f