Subject: CVE-2024-46768: hwmon: (hp-wmi-sensors) Check if WMI event data exists

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

hwmon: (hp-wmi-sensors) Check if WMI event data exists

The BIOS can choose to return no event data in response to a
WMI event, so the ACPI object passed to the WMI notify handler
can be NULL.

Check for such a situation and ignore the event in such a case.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-46768 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 6.5 with commit 23902f98f8d4 and fixed in 6.6.51 with commit 217539e994e5
	Issue introduced in 6.5 with commit 23902f98f8d4 and fixed in 6.10.10 with commit 4b19c83ba108
	Issue introduced in 6.5 with commit 23902f98f8d4 and fixed in 6.11 with commit a54da9df75cd

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-46768
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/hwmon/hp-wmi-sensors.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/217539e994e53206bbf3fb330261cc78c480d311
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/4b19c83ba108aa66226da5b79810e4d19e005f12
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/a54da9df75cd1b4b5028f6c60f9a211532680585