Subject: CVE-2024-46733: btrfs: fix qgroup reserve leaks in cow_file_range

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

btrfs: fix qgroup reserve leaks in cow_file_range

In the buffered write path, the dirty page owns the qgroup reserve until
it creates an ordered_extent.

Therefore, any errors that occur before the ordered_extent is created
must free that reservation, or else the space is leaked. The fstest
generic/475 exercises various IO error paths, and is able to trigger
errors in cow_file_range where we fail to get to allocating the ordered
extent. Note that because we *do* clear delalloc, we are likely to
remove the inode from the delalloc list, so the inodes/pages to not have
invalidate/launder called on them in the commit abort path.

This results in failures at the unmount stage of the test that look like:

  BTRFS: error (device dm-8 state EA) in cleanup_transaction:2018: errno=-5 IO failure
  BTRFS: error (device dm-8 state EA) in btrfs_replace_file_extents:2416: errno=-5 IO failure
  BTRFS warning (device dm-8 state EA): qgroup 0/5 has unreleased space, type 0 rsv 28672
  ------------[ cut here ]------------
  WARNING: CPU: 3 PID: 22588 at fs/btrfs/disk-io.c:4333 close_ctree+0x222/0x4d0 [btrfs]
  Modules linked in: btrfs blake2b_generic libcrc32c xor zstd_compress raid6_pq
  CPU: 3 PID: 22588 Comm: umount Kdump: loaded Tainted: G W          6.10.0-rc7-gab56fde445b8 #21
  Hardware name: QEMU Standard PC (i440FX + PIIX, 1996), BIOS Arch Linux 1.16.3-1-1 04/01/2014
  RIP: 0010:close_ctree+0x222/0x4d0 [btrfs]
  RSP: 0018:ffffb4465283be00 EFLAGS: 00010202
  RAX: 0000000000000001 RBX: ffffa1a1818e1000 RCX: 0000000000000001
  RDX: 0000000000000000 RSI: ffffb4465283bbe0 RDI: ffffa1a19374fcb8
  RBP: ffffa1a1818e13c0 R08: 0000000100028b16 R09: 0000000000000000
  R10: 0000000000000003 R11: 0000000000000003 R12: ffffa1a18ad7972c
  R13: 0000000000000000 R14: 0000000000000000 R15: 0000000000000000
  FS:  00007f9168312b80(0000) GS:ffffa1a4afcc0000(0000) knlGS:0000000000000000
  CS:  0010 DS: 0000 ES: 0000 CR0: 0000000080050033
  CR2: 00007f91683c9140 CR3: 000000010acaa000 CR4: 00000000000006f0
  Call Trace:
   <TASK>
   ? close_ctree+0x222/0x4d0 [btrfs]
   ? __warn.cold+0x8e/0xea
   ? close_ctree+0x222/0x4d0 [btrfs]
   ? report_bug+0xff/0x140
   ? handle_bug+0x3b/0x70
   ? exc_invalid_op+0x17/0x70
   ? asm_exc_invalid_op+0x1a/0x20
   ? close_ctree+0x222/0x4d0 [btrfs]
   generic_shutdown_super+0x70/0x160
   kill_anon_super+0x11/0x40
   btrfs_kill_super+0x11/0x20 [btrfs]
   deactivate_locked_super+0x2e/0xa0
   cleanup_mnt+0xb5/0x150
   task_work_run+0x57/0x80
   syscall_exit_to_user_mode+0x121/0x130
   do_syscall_64+0xab/0x1a0
   entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x77/0x7f
  RIP: 0033:0x7f916847a887
  ---[ end trace 0000000000000000 ]---
  BTRFS error (device dm-8 state EA): qgroup reserved space leaked

Cases 2 and 3 in the out_reserve path both pertain to this type of leak
and must free the reserved qgroup data. Because it is already an error
path, I opted not to handle the possible errors in
btrfs_free_qgroup_data.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-46733 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Fixed in 6.10.9 with commit e42ef22bc10f
	Fixed in 6.11 with commit 30479f31d44d

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-46733
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	fs/btrfs/inode.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/e42ef22bc10f0309c0c65d8d6ca8b4127a674b7f
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/30479f31d44d47ed00ae0c7453d9b253537005b2