Subject: CVE-2024-46686: smb/client: avoid dereferencing rdata=NULL in smb2_new_read_req()

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

smb/client: avoid dereferencing rdata=NULL in smb2_new_read_req()

This happens when called from SMB2_read() while using rdma
and reaching the rdma_readwrite_threshold.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-46686 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 6.1.16 with commit edf38e9f4269 and fixed in 6.1.108 with commit 6df57c63c200
	Issue introduced in 6.3 with commit a6559cc1d35d and fixed in 6.6.49 with commit a01859dd6aeb
	Issue introduced in 6.3 with commit a6559cc1d35d and fixed in 6.10.8 with commit b902fb78ab21
	Issue introduced in 6.3 with commit a6559cc1d35d and fixed in 6.11 with commit c724b2ab6a46
	Issue introduced in 6.2.3 with commit 74ab77137c99

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-46686
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	fs/smb/client/smb2pdu.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/6df57c63c200cd05e085c3b695128260e21959b7
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/a01859dd6aebf826576513850a3b05992809e9d2
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/b902fb78ab21299e4dd1775e7e8d251d5c0735bc
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/c724b2ab6a46435b4e7d58ad2fbbdb7a318823cf