Subject: CVE-2024-44976: ata: pata_macio: Fix DMA table overflow

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

ata: pata_macio: Fix DMA table overflow

Kolbjørn and Jonáš reported that their 32-bit PowerMacs were crashing
in pata-macio since commit 09fe2bfa6b83 ("ata: pata_macio: Fix
max_segment_size with PAGE_SIZE == 64K").

For example:

  kernel BUG at drivers/ata/pata_macio.c:544!
  Oops: Exception in kernel mode, sig: 5 [#1]
  BE PAGE_SIZE=4K MMU=Hash SMP NR_CPUS=2 DEBUG_PAGEALLOC PowerMac
  ...
  NIP pata_macio_qc_prep+0xf4/0x190
  LR  pata_macio_qc_prep+0xfc/0x190
  Call Trace:
    0xc1421660 (unreliable)
    ata_qc_issue+0x14c/0x2d4
    __ata_scsi_queuecmd+0x200/0x53c
    ata_scsi_queuecmd+0x50/0xe0
    scsi_queue_rq+0x788/0xb1c
    __blk_mq_issue_directly+0x58/0xf4
    blk_mq_plug_issue_direct+0x8c/0x1b4
    blk_mq_flush_plug_list.part.0+0x584/0x5e0
    __blk_flush_plug+0xf8/0x194
    __submit_bio+0x1b8/0x2e0
    submit_bio_noacct_nocheck+0x230/0x304
    btrfs_work_helper+0x200/0x338
    process_one_work+0x1a8/0x338
    worker_thread+0x364/0x4c0
    kthread+0x100/0x104
    start_kernel_thread+0x10/0x14

That commit increased max_segment_size to 64KB, with the justification
that the SCSI core was already using that size when PAGE_SIZE == 64KB,
and that there was existing logic to split over-sized requests.

However with a sufficiently large request, the splitting logic causes
each sg to be split into two commands in the DMA table, leading to
overflow of the DMA table, triggering the BUG_ON().

With default settings the bug doesn't trigger, because the request size
is limited by max_sectors_kb == 1280, however max_sectors_kb can be
increased, and apparently some distros do that by default using udev
rules.

Fix the bug for 4KB kernels by reverting to the old max_segment_size.

For 64KB kernels the sg_tablesize needs to be halved, to allow for the
possibility that each sg will be split into two.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-44976 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 6.10 with commit 09fe2bfa6b83 and fixed in 6.10.7 with commit 709e4c8f78e1
	Issue introduced in 6.10 with commit 09fe2bfa6b83 and fixed in 6.11 with commit 822c8020aebc

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-44976
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/ata/pata_macio.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/709e4c8f78e156ab332297bdd87527ec3da4e2d4
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/822c8020aebcf5804a143b891e34f29873fee5e2