Subject: CVE-2024-42269: netfilter: iptables: Fix potential null-ptr-deref in ip6table_nat_table_init().

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

netfilter: iptables: Fix potential null-ptr-deref in ip6table_nat_table_init().

ip6table_nat_table_init() accesses net->gen->ptr[ip6table_nat_net_ops.id],
but the function is exposed to user space before the entry is allocated
via register_pernet_subsys().

Let's call register_pernet_subsys() before xt_register_template().

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-42269 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.15 with commit fdacd57c79b7 and fixed in 5.15.165 with commit 419ee6274c51
	Issue introduced in 5.15 with commit fdacd57c79b7 and fixed in 6.1.104 with commit 91b6df6611b7
	Issue introduced in 5.15 with commit fdacd57c79b7 and fixed in 6.6.45 with commit e85b9b6a87be
	Issue introduced in 5.15 with commit fdacd57c79b7 and fixed in 6.10.4 with commit 87dba44e9471
	Issue introduced in 5.15 with commit fdacd57c79b7 and fixed in 6.11 with commit c22921df777d

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-42269
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	net/ipv6/netfilter/ip6table_nat.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/419ee6274c5153b89c4393c1946faa4c3cad4f9e
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/91b6df6611b7edb28676c4f63f90c56c30d3e601
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/e85b9b6a87be4cb3710082038b677e97f2389003
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/87dba44e9471b79b255d0736858a897332db9226
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/c22921df777de5606f1047b1345b8d22ef1c0b34