Subject: CVE-2024-42229: crypto: aead,cipher - zeroize key buffer after use

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

crypto: aead,cipher - zeroize key buffer after use

I.G 9.7.B for FIPS 140-3 specifies that variables temporarily holding
cryptographic information should be zeroized once they are no longer
needed. Accomplish this by using kfree_sensitive for buffers that
previously held the private key.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-42229 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Fixed in 5.10.222 with commit 9db8c299a521
	Fixed in 5.15.163 with commit 71dd42861537
	Fixed in 6.1.98 with commit 28c8d274848f
	Fixed in 6.6.39 with commit b502d4a08875
	Fixed in 6.9.9 with commit f58679996a83
	Fixed in 6.10 with commit 23e4099bdc3c

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-42229
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	crypto/aead.c
	crypto/cipher.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/9db8c299a521813630fcb4154298cb60c37f3133
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/71dd428615375e36523f4d4f7685ddd54113646d
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/28c8d274848feba552e95c5c2a7e3cfe8f15c534
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/b502d4a08875ea2b4ea5d5b28dc7c991c8b90cfb
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/f58679996a831754a356974376f248aa0af2eb8e
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/23e4099bdc3c8381992f9eb975c79196d6755210