Subject: CVE-2024-42148: bnx2x: Fix multiple UBSAN array-index-out-of-bounds

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

bnx2x: Fix multiple UBSAN array-index-out-of-bounds

Fix UBSAN warnings that occur when using a system with 32 physical
cpu cores or more, or when the user defines a number of Ethernet
queues greater than or equal to FP_SB_MAX_E1x using the num_queues
module parameter.

Currently there is a read/write out of bounds that occurs on the array
"struct stats_query_entry query" present inside the "bnx2x_fw_stats_req"
struct in "drivers/net/ethernet/broadcom/bnx2x/bnx2x.h".
Looking at the definition of the "struct stats_query_entry query" array:

struct stats_query_entry query[FP_SB_MAX_E1x+
         BNX2X_FIRST_QUEUE_QUERY_IDX];

FP_SB_MAX_E1x is defined as the maximum number of fast path interrupts and
has a value of 16, while BNX2X_FIRST_QUEUE_QUERY_IDX has a value of 3
meaning the array has a total size of 19.
Since accesses to "struct stats_query_entry query" are offset-ted by
BNX2X_FIRST_QUEUE_QUERY_IDX, that means that the total number of Ethernet
queues should not exceed FP_SB_MAX_E1x (16). However one of these queues
is reserved for FCOE and thus the number of Ethernet queues should be set
to [FP_SB_MAX_E1x -1] (15) if FCOE is enabled or [FP_SB_MAX_E1x] (16) if
it is not.

This is also described in a comment in the source code in
drivers/net/ethernet/broadcom/bnx2x/bnx2x.h just above the Macro definition
of FP_SB_MAX_E1x. Below is the part of this explanation that it important
for this patch

/*
  * The total number of L2 queues, MSIX vectors and HW contexts (CIDs) is
  * control by the number of fast-path status blocks supported by the
  * device (HW/FW). Each fast-path status block (FP-SB) aka non-default
  * status block represents an independent interrupts context that can
  * serve a regular L2 networking queue. However special L2 queues such
  * as the FCoE queue do not require a FP-SB and other components like
  * the CNIC may consume FP-SB reducing the number of possible L2 queues
  *
  * If the maximum number of FP-SB available is X then:
  * a. If CNIC is supported it consumes 1 FP-SB thus the max number of
  *    regular L2 queues is Y=X-1
  * b. In MF mode the actual number of L2 queues is Y= (X-1/MF_factor)
  * c. If the FCoE L2 queue is supported the actual number of L2 queues
  *    is Y+1
  * d. The number of irqs (MSIX vectors) is either Y+1 (one extra for
  *    slow-path interrupts) or Y+2 if CNIC is supported (one additional
  *    FP interrupt context for the CNIC).
  * e. The number of HW context (CID count) is always X or X+1 if FCoE
  *    L2 queue is supported. The cid for the FCoE L2 queue is always X.
  */

However this driver also supports NICs that use the E2 controller which can
handle more queues due to having more FP-SB represented by FP_SB_MAX_E2.
Looking at the commits when the E2 support was added, it was originally
using the E1x parameters: commit f2e0899f0f27 ("bnx2x: Add 57712 support").
Back then FP_SB_MAX_E2 was set to 16 the same as E1x. However the driver
was later updated to take full advantage of the E2 instead of having it be
limited to the capabilities of the E1x. But as far as we can tell, the
array "stats_query_entry query" was still limited to using the FP-SB
available to the E1x cards as part of an oversignt when the driver was
updated to take full advantage of the E2, and now with the driver being
aware of the greater queue size supported by E2 NICs, it causes the UBSAN
warnings seen in the stack traces below.

This patch increases the size of the "stats_query_entry query" array by
replacing FP_SB_MAX_E1x with FP_SB_MAX_E2 to be large enough to handle
both types of NICs.

Stack traces:

UBSAN: array-index-out-of-bounds in
       drivers/net/ethernet/broadcom/bnx2x/bnx2x_stats.c:1529:11
index 20 is out of range for type 'stats_query_entry [19]'
CPU: 12 PID: 858 Comm: systemd-network Not tainted 6.9.0-060900rc7-generic
	     #202405052133
Hardware name: HP ProLiant DL360 Gen9/ProLiant DL360 Gen9,
	       BIOS P89 10/21/2019
Call Trace:
 <TASK>
 dump_stack_lvl+0x76/0xa0
 dump_stack+0x10/0x20
 __ubsan_handle_out_of_bounds+0xcb/0x110
 bnx2x_prep_fw_stats_req+0x2e1/0x310 [bnx2x]
 bnx2x_stats_init+0x156/0x320 [bnx2x]
 bnx2x_post_irq_nic_init+0x81/0x1a0 [bnx2x]
 bnx2x_nic_load+0x8e8/0x19e0 [bnx2x]
 bnx2x_open+0x16b/0x290 [bnx2x]
 __dev_open+0x10e/0x1d0
RIP: 0033:0x736223927a0a
Code: d8 64 89 02 48 c7 c0 ff ff ff ff eb b8 0f 1f 00 f3 0f 1e fa 41 89 ca
      64 8b 04 25 18 00 00 00 85 c0 75 15 b8 2c 00 00 00 0f 05 <48> 3d 00
      f0 ff ff 77 7e c3 0f 1f 44 00 00 41 54 48 83 ec 30 44 89
RSP: 002b:00007ffc0bb2ada8 EFLAGS: 00000246 ORIG_RAX: 000000000000002c
RAX: ffffffffffffffda RBX: 0000583df50f9c78 RCX: 0000736223927a0a
RDX: 0000000000000020 RSI: 0000583df50ee510 RDI: 0000000000000003
RBP: 0000583df50d4940 R08: 00007ffc0bb2adb0 R09: 0000000000000080
R10: 0000000000000000 R11: 0000000000000246 R12: 0000583df5103ae0
R13: 000000000000035a R14: 0000583df50f9c30 R15: 0000583ddddddf00
</TASK>
---[ end trace ]---
------------[ cut here ]------------
UBSAN: array-index-out-of-bounds in
       drivers/net/ethernet/broadcom/bnx2x/bnx2x_stats.c:1546:11
index 28 is out of range for type 'stats_query_entry [19]'
CPU: 12 PID: 858 Comm: systemd-network Not tainted 6.9.0-060900rc7-generic
	     #202405052133
Hardware name: HP ProLiant DL360 Gen9/ProLiant DL360 Gen9,
	       BIOS P89 10/21/2019
Call Trace:
<TASK>
dump_stack_lvl+0x76/0xa0
dump_stack+0x10/0x20
__ubsan_handle_out_of_bounds+0xcb/0x110
bnx2x_prep_fw_stats_req+0x2fd/0x310 [bnx2x]
bnx2x_stats_init+0x156/0x320 [bnx2x]
bnx2x_post_irq_nic_init+0x81/0x1a0 [bnx2x]
bnx2x_nic_load+0x8e8/0x19e0 [bnx2x]
bnx2x_open+0x16b/0x290 [bnx2x]
__dev_open+0x10e/0x1d0
RIP: 0033:0x736223927a0a
Code: d8 64 89 02 48 c7 c0 ff ff ff ff eb b8 0f 1f 00 f3 0f 1e fa 41 89 ca
      64 8b 04 25 18 00 00 00 85 c0 75 15 b8 2c 00 00 00 0f 05 <48> 3d 00
      f0 ff ff 77 7e c3 0f 1f 44 00 00 41 54 48 83 ec 30 44 89
RSP: 002b:00007ffc0bb2ada8 EFLAGS: 00000246 ORIG_RAX: 000000000000002c
RAX: ffffffffffffffda RBX: 0000583df50f9c78 RCX: 0000736223927a0a
RDX: 0000000000000020 RSI: 0000583df50ee510 RDI: 0000000000000003
RBP: 0000583df50d4940 R08: 00007ffc0bb2adb0 R09: 0000000000000080
R10: 0000000000000000 R11: 0000000000000246 R12: 0000583df5103ae0
R13: 000000000000035a R14: 0000583df50f9c30 R15: 0000583ddddddf00
 </TASK>
---[ end trace ]---
------------[ cut here ]------------
UBSAN: array-index-out-of-bounds in
       drivers/net/ethernet/broadcom/bnx2x/bnx2x_sriov.c:1895:8
index 29 is out of range for type 'stats_query_entry [19]'
CPU: 13 PID: 163 Comm: kworker/u96:1 Not tainted 6.9.0-060900rc7-generic
	     #202405052133
Hardware name: HP ProLiant DL360 Gen9/ProLiant DL360 Gen9,
	       BIOS P89 10/21/2019
Workqueue: bnx2x bnx2x_sp_task [bnx2x]
Call Trace:
 <TASK>
 dump_stack_lvl+0x76/0xa0
 dump_stack+0x10/0x20
 __ubsan_handle_out_of_bounds+0xcb/0x110
 bnx2x_iov_adjust_stats_req+0x3c4/0x3d0 [bnx2x]
 bnx2x_storm_stats_post.part.0+0x4a/0x330 [bnx2x]
 ? bnx2x_hw_stats_post+0x231/0x250 [bnx2x]
 bnx2x_stats_start+0x44/0x70 [bnx2x]
 bnx2x_stats_handle+0x149/0x350 [bnx2x]
 bnx2x_attn_int_asserted+0x998/0x9b0 [bnx2x]
 bnx2x_sp_task+0x491/0x5c0 [bnx2x]
 process_one_work+0x18d/0x3f0
 </TASK>
---[ end trace ]---

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-42148 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 3.3 with commit 50f0a562f8cc and fixed in 4.19.318 with commit cfb04472ce33
	Issue introduced in 3.3 with commit 50f0a562f8cc and fixed in 5.4.280 with commit cbe53087026a
	Issue introduced in 3.3 with commit 50f0a562f8cc and fixed in 5.10.222 with commit 8b17cec33892
	Issue introduced in 3.3 with commit 50f0a562f8cc and fixed in 5.15.163 with commit 0edae06b4c22
	Issue introduced in 3.3 with commit 50f0a562f8cc and fixed in 6.1.98 with commit 9504a1550686
	Issue introduced in 3.3 with commit 50f0a562f8cc and fixed in 6.6.39 with commit f1313ea92f82
	Issue introduced in 3.3 with commit 50f0a562f8cc and fixed in 6.9.9 with commit b9ea38e76745
	Issue introduced in 3.3 with commit 50f0a562f8cc and fixed in 6.10 with commit 134061163ee5

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-42148
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/net/ethernet/broadcom/bnx2x/bnx2x.h

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/cfb04472ce33bee2579caf4dc9f4242522f6e26e
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/cbe53087026ad929cd3950508397e8892a6a2a0f
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/8b17cec33892a66bbd71f8d9a70a45e2072ae84f
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/0edae06b4c227bcfaf3ce21208d49191e1009d3b
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/9504a1550686f53b0bab4cab31d435383b1ee2ce
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/f1313ea92f82451923e28ab45a4aaa0e70e80b98
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/b9ea38e767459111a511ed4fb74abc37db95a59d
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/134061163ee5ca4759de5c24ca3bd71608891ba7