Subject: CVE-2024-41010: bpf: Fix too early release of tcx_entry

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

bpf: Fix too early release of tcx_entry

Pedro Pinto and later independently also Hyunwoo Kim and Wongi Lee reported
an issue that the tcx_entry can be released too early leading to a use
after free (UAF) when an active old-style ingress or clsact qdisc with a
shared tc block is later replaced by another ingress or clsact instance.

Essentially, the sequence to trigger the UAF (one example) can be as follows:

  1. A network namespace is created
  2. An ingress qdisc is created. This allocates a tcx_entry, and
     &tcx_entry->miniq is stored in the qdisc's miniqp->p_miniq. At the
     same time, a tcf block with index 1 is created.
  3. chain0 is attached to the tcf block. chain0 must be connected to
     the block linked to the ingress qdisc to later reach the function
     tcf_chain0_head_change_cb_del() which triggers the UAF.
  4. Create and graft a clsact qdisc. This causes the ingress qdisc
     created in step 1 to be removed, thus freeing the previously linked
     tcx_entry:

     rtnetlink_rcv_msg()
       => tc_modify_qdisc()
         => qdisc_create()
           => clsact_init() [a]
         => qdisc_graft()
           => qdisc_destroy()
             => __qdisc_destroy()
               => ingress_destroy() [b]
                 => tcx_entry_free()
                   => kfree_rcu() // tcx_entry freed

  5. Finally, the network namespace is closed. This registers the
     cleanup_net worker, and during the process of releasing the
     remaining clsact qdisc, it accesses the tcx_entry that was
     already freed in step 4, causing the UAF to occur:

     cleanup_net()
       => ops_exit_list()
         => default_device_exit_batch()
           => unregister_netdevice_many()
             => unregister_netdevice_many_notify()
               => dev_shutdown()
                 => qdisc_put()
                   => clsact_destroy() [c]
                     => tcf_block_put_ext()
                       => tcf_chain0_head_change_cb_del()
                         => tcf_chain_head_change_item()
                           => clsact_chain_head_change()
                             => mini_qdisc_pair_swap() // UAF

There are also other variants, the gist is to add an ingress (or clsact)
qdisc with a specific shared block, then to replace that qdisc, waiting
for the tcx_entry kfree_rcu() to be executed and subsequently accessing
the current active qdisc's miniq one way or another.

The correct fix is to turn the miniq_active boolean into a counter. What
can be observed, at step 2 above, the counter transitions from 0->1, at
step [a] from 1->2 (in order for the miniq object to remain active during
the replacement), then in [b] from 2->1 and finally [c] 1->0 with the
eventual release. The reference counter in general ranges from [0,2] and
it does not need to be atomic since all access to the counter is protected
by the rtnl mutex. With this in place, there is no longer a UAF happening
and the tcx_entry is freed at the correct time.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-41010 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 6.6 with commit e420bed02507 and fixed in 6.6.41 with commit 230bb13650b0
	Issue introduced in 6.6 with commit e420bed02507 and fixed in 6.9.10 with commit f61ecf1bd5b5
	Issue introduced in 6.6 with commit e420bed02507 and fixed in 6.10 with commit 1cb6f0bae504

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-41010
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	include/net/tcx.h
	net/sched/sch_ingress.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/230bb13650b0f186f540500fd5f5f7096a822a2a
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/f61ecf1bd5b562ebfd7d430ccb31619857e80857
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/1cb6f0bae50441f4b4b32a28315853b279c7404e