Subject: CVE-2024-40928: net: ethtool: fix the error condition in ethtool_get_phy_stats_ethtool()

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

net: ethtool: fix the error condition in ethtool_get_phy_stats_ethtool()

Clang static checker (scan-build) warning:
net/ethtool/ioctl.c:line 2233, column 2
Called function pointer is null (null dereference).

Return '-EOPNOTSUPP' when 'ops->get_ethtool_phy_stats' is NULL to fix
this typo error.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-40928 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 6.2 with commit 201ed315f967 and fixed in 6.6.35 with commit 6548d543a274
	Issue introduced in 6.2 with commit 201ed315f967 and fixed in 6.9.6 with commit 92196be82a4e
	Issue introduced in 6.2 with commit 201ed315f967 and fixed in 6.10 with commit 0dcc53abf58d

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-40928
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	net/ethtool/ioctl.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/6548d543a27449a1a3d8079925de93f5764d6f22
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/92196be82a4eb61813833dc62876fd198ae51ab1
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/0dcc53abf58d572d34c5313de85f607cd33fc691