Subject: CVE-2024-39296: bonding: fix oops during rmmod

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

bonding: fix oops during rmmod

"rmmod bonding" causes an oops ever since commit cc317ea3d927 ("bonding:
remove redundant NULL check in debugfs function").  Here are the relevant
functions being called:

bonding_exit()
  bond_destroy_debugfs()
    debugfs_remove_recursive(bonding_debug_root);
    bonding_debug_root = NULL; <--------- SET TO NULL HERE
  bond_netlink_fini()
    rtnl_link_unregister()
      __rtnl_link_unregister()
        unregister_netdevice_many_notify()
          bond_uninit()
            bond_debug_unregister()
              (commit removed check for bonding_debug_root == NULL)
              debugfs_remove()
              simple_recursive_removal()
                down_write() -> OOPS

However, reverting the bad commit does not solve the problem completely
because the original code contains a race that could cause the same
oops, although it was much less likely to be triggered unintentionally:

CPU1
  rmmod bonding
    bonding_exit()
      bond_destroy_debugfs()
        debugfs_remove_recursive(bonding_debug_root);

CPU2
  echo -bond0 > /sys/class/net/bonding_masters
    bond_uninit()
      bond_debug_unregister()
        if (!bonding_debug_root)

CPU1
        bonding_debug_root = NULL;

So do NOT revert the bad commit (since the removed checks were racy
anyway), and instead change the order of actions taken during module
removal.  The same oops can also happen if there is an error during
module init, so apply the same fix there.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-39296 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 6.6 with commit cc317ea3d927 and fixed in 6.6.34 with commit f07224c16678
	Issue introduced in 6.6 with commit cc317ea3d927 and fixed in 6.9.5 with commit cf48aee81103
	Issue introduced in 6.6 with commit cc317ea3d927 and fixed in 6.10 with commit a45835a0bb6e

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-39296
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/net/bonding/bond_main.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/f07224c16678a8af54ddc059b3d2d51885d7f35e
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/cf48aee81103ca06d09d73d33fb72f1191069aa6
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/a45835a0bb6ef7d5ddbc0714dd760de979cb6ece