Re: [mu TECH] Cat command and else

From: Jeroen Sangers (jeroen@jeroensangers.com)
Date: Fri Feb 21 2003 - 13:22:57 CET

    zaltar <zaltark@yahoo.it> wrote:
    > Well, if you remember I was trying to handle a mu floppy-based
    > system. I've actually fixed the oldest problem I met, now Mu on
    > startup load automatically USR and ask me for WKS floppy, since I
    > decided not to use cloning for a while, just to gain experience.
    > Quite good results for a newbie I think :) .
    > Practicing with the exploration commands, such as "cd /usr/wks/doc"
    > and others, I tried to read some file typing "cat filename", but the
    > file was too long and Mu showed up on the screen only the last part.
    > If I want to read confortably the whole doc I have to add " | more"
    > to the "cat filename" command?
    > Another question: how can I launch some program, such as lynx to read
    > the file "readme.html" in "/usr/wks/doc"?
    > See ya, Zaltar.

    Hi Zaltar,

    I am happy to see that you are making progress...

    The cat command is used to concatenate files together. In general, if you
    use the cat command with only the filename you better use something else. In
    your case, instead of 'cat filename | more', use 'more filename' or 'less
    filename' (less is a newer version of more, offering more options).

    To open a html file in lynx, simply add the filename as a parameter: 'lynx
    /usr/wks/doc/readme.html'.

    Kind regards,

    Jeroen Sangers

    www.jeroensangers.com