Re: Windows XP question (newbie)

From: Manuel Garcia Rodriguez (manueluniversidad@yahoo.es)
Date: Thu Oct 24 2002 - 16:02:06 CEST

> I personally haven't used XP, but would you not be
> able to put the autoexec.bat file in the 'Run' key
> you point to above, and then just put whatever
> commands you want to run in that file?
> Would make any
> changes you want to make later a lot easier.

I'm afraid that it doesn't work for environment
variables. These would be local to DOS sesion that
runs autoexec.bat, like any .bat file.

Commands in HKEY... are executed by Windows after it
boots, and commands in autoexec are executed by MSDOS
before Windows starts, but this only works for Win9x,
not in Win2k-XP-NT.

I think that placing (pasting) a shorcut in
Start/Programs/Startup is easier, and only runs for
current user.

Manuel.