Re: PLIP & Samba

From: Sebastian Leske (sleske@enterprise.mathematik.uni-essen.de)
Date: Thu Nov 22 2001 - 19:43:07 CET

Hi,

> > The parral port name in DOS is LPT11:
> > The parral port name in LINUX is /dev/lp0
>
> Using the kernel 2.0.*, parallel port is known as /dev/lp1.
>
> Michele

hopefully I'm not nitpicking, but if I remember correctly, it's like this:

The naming of the parallel port changed between Linux 2.0.x and 2.2.x.
Under 2.0 (and previous?) there was a fixed correspondence between
the I/O-address of the parport and its number (lp0 or lp1). So you
had /dev/lp0 or /dev/lp1 , depending on what I/O-address your parport
happened to use (that's normally set in the BIOS setup, I think).

Since 2.2, the parports are just numbered sequentially, so the first
parport is lp0, the second lp1 .

Short version:
If you have one parport, then
- und 2.0 it may be lp0 or it may be lp1 depending on your computer
- under 2.2 it will always(?) be lp0

Greetings,

Sebastian

P.S.: This is actually quite properly documented (Proper documentation! How
shocking in a free software project! ;-) ) in the kernel docs.
It's in linux/Documentation/parport.txt (at least in 2.2.x and up).
Quotation:
[...]
        # insmod lp.o parport=0,2

or on the LILO command line:

        lp=parport0 lp=parport2

Both the above examples would inform lp that you want /dev/lp0 to be
the first parallel port, and /dev/lp1 to be the _third_ parallel port,
with no lp device associated with the second port (parport1). Note
that this is different to the way older kernels worked; there used to
be a static association between the I/O port address and the device
name, so /dev/lp0 was always the port at 0x3bc. This is no longer the
case - if you only have one port, it will default to being /dev/lp0,
regardless of base address.
[...]

So you can actually tell the kernel whether you want lp0 or lp1, but
if you say nothing, you'll get lp0.