Re: PLIP & Samba

From: Jan Petranek (jan.petranek@student.uni-tuebingen.de)
Date: Wed Nov 21 2001 - 15:18:39 CET

On Tue, 20 Nov 2001, Manuel Garcia Rodriguez wrote:

> Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 09:42:10 -0800 (PST)
> From: Manuel Garcia Rodriguez <manueluniversidad@yahoo.es>
> To: mulinux@sunsite.dk
> Subject: PLIP & Samba
>
> Hello.
>
> I've conected a Win95+Mulinux Pentium (pc586) and a
> Wfw3.11+Mulinux 486-33 (pc486) via parallel port. I've
> installed plip, Samba, smbd and cdrom support on
> pc586.
>
> Purposes: share pc586 CD-ROM drive (with samba or
> similar) and access it from pc486 Wfw3.11
>
> HOWTO:
> - Know if samba is working properly
> - Know if plip is working properly. Is there a
> /dev/plip0 device or similar?
> - do it work ;)

For the last part, there is a HOWTO. See:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/PLIP.html

It has helped me connecting my SuSE Linux-box with mulinux via PLIP.

There also should be something about connecting DOS (what win3.11
basically still is) with Linux via PLIP.

Howewer, you can positevely connect both your machines, when both are
running mulinux. But make sure, the parports use either EPP or ECP mode
(This option can be found in the jumper settings of your mainboard or
I/O-Card or maybe in the BIOS)

have fun and connect ;

But if You want to connect win9x and linux, you should probably go out and
get some ethernet-cards. It's faster and easier.

JanP