Re: Speed-up muLinux startup

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Thu Sep 13 2001 - 09:23:23 CEST

On Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 10:38:49AM +0200, Philippe Corbes nicely wrote:

> The script "/etc/rc/setup" execute "setup -a custom".
> Setup script will open "/setup/model/custom" file and call setup
> script for each
> entry in this file. This method take a long time when only some
> module need to be
> configured. My idea to solve this problem is to run a script
> automaticaly generated
> once time for all. This script is updated by setup script when setup
> is modified.
> This script configure only modules who needs to be configured.
>
> For additional commands, e-mail: mulinux-help@sunsite.dk

The bad design is "setup -a file-name", that recurses. It can be
probabily sostitute with:

                for r in `cat /setup/model/custom`; do
                setup $r
                done

A way to improve your compilation mechanism, is to modify "setup" in
this way: when in configure the resurce "X" is create an empty file
in the directory /setup/cnf/store/configured (for example).
So, the reconfigurarion can be performed in fast way with:

                for r in `ls /setup/cnf/store/configured`; do
                setup $f
                done

The directory /setup/cnf/store/ is saved belong the profile, so it is
permanent.

Mah; maybe, some malfunction can be entered. In this way, the cloned
system never scan resources in the "skipped" status, etc.

Michele

--
I keep trying to locate a meeting of Quantum Physicists. But everytime
they set a meeting time, the location changes. And vice versa -- Anonymous