Re: Yes/No -> Si/No / ixnay / better input routine

From: Michele Andreoli (m.andreoli@tin.it)
Date: Mon Jun 25 2001 - 22:04:26 CEST

On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 02:44:00PM -0400, Alfie Costa nicely wrote:

> Changing existing code to use a 'CHOICE'-like util would require some tweaking.
> This would be worthwhile, assuming it was done well, if it made the code
> smaller, easier to read, and easier to run.

Sure. This is a lack in the original muLinux Setup design. A function like
AskYN(), or something similar, could be better. A function of this kind could
also handle, in uniform way, input like: y,Y,yes,YES,Yes etc.

Of course, in the Setup we have a skeleton "AreYouHappy()" function that
works in this spirit, but rarely used.

As first approximation, the y/n question do not seems - to me - so frequent
in the Setup, compared to other prompts.

Another relevant improvement (I saw something similar in the FreeSco
floppy disk) is to use different colors for required/optional/dangerous
parameters.

Example: actually every input is handled via the prompt() function:

                # prompt Variable "default value" "Prompt Message"

A simple solution is :

        1. to introduce color as first parameter in the prompt()
        2. create new functions, like:

                required() { prompt GREEN $* }
                optional() { prompt YELLOW $* }
                expert_only() { prompt RED $* }

                (are only examples!)

But a chromodynamics-Setup fall on the taste's land; someone can
find it irriting, or confusing, or too inusual. Finally, in the
Sicilia, Spain and in an unknown count of other latin countries,
a such muLinux will be simply classified as "effeminate" and
definitively unistalled :-) May we, Alfie, accept this risk?

Michele

--
I keep trying to locate a meeting of Quantum Physicists. But everytime
they set a meeting time, the location changes. And vice versa -- Anonymous